MIL Military Pay too MUCH???? F-U

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by OneLifeOneLove, Oct 20, 2006.

1. OneLifeOneLove

OneLifeOneLove If You Ain't Outta Control, You Ain't In Control.

This is an Airman's response to Cindy Williams' editorial piece in the Washington Times about MILITARY PAY, it should be printed in all newspapers across America.

On Nov. 12, Ms Cindy Williams wrote a piece for the Washington Times, denouncing the pay raise coming service members' way this year -- citing that the stated 13% wage was more than they deserve.

A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this.

"Ms Williams:

I just had the pleasure of reading your column, "Our GIs earn enough" and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account.

Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40, after.

I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for Network Technicians in the Washington, D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience with my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum... I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.

Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in our armed forces. Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off of WIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN; I leave the choice of service branch up to you.

Whatever choice you make, though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience." As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone -- obviously they've been squandering the "vast" piles of cash the government has been giving them.

Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites. And when you're actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night; and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor. Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't nearly be long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it.

You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your opined piece.

But, tomorrow from KABUL, I will defend to the death your right to say it.

You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment rights and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective nose at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies.

And you, Ms. Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve? Rubbish!

A1C Michael Bragg Hill AFB AFNCC

2. Hybrix

Hybrix New Member

I highly agree. I personally think that people who serve our country should be tax exempt. If you have a problem with that then go ahead and do what this guy in the article has suggested. Go join the military yourself and see how you feel about it then.

Thanks for the post! Great read!

3. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

this letter has been around forever. They just change the places with each conflict.

4. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

your still in the af though... and the only thing you'll be fighting is your way through the chow line in those beautiful af fobs

5. insomnia

insomnia New Member

I stopped reading here.

6. origin unknown

:rofl:

7. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

aweh:wtc: they sell MREs in the commisary

8. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

The United States military has 1 mission, and that mission doesn't change no matter which branch you are in. Someone on the ground in Iraq or Aghanistan is just as much at risk as a Sailor 400+ feet under the water. Every service member does their job to protect the US. Like it or not we're all one big family.

9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

And you fault us for that?

10. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

you're getting paid too much to be standing in the chow line :rolleyes:

11. origin unknown

wasn't trying to steal the glory i was literally stating truth

12. Jyokker

I pay for my food.

13. Jyokker

While in the past the AF has stayed behind the lines for the most part, we are slowly changing into something more fight oriented. I disagree with the training we receive and agree with most people when they say we should receive the same training as the Army if the AF wants us to act like the Army.

Most AF members know little to nothing about a firearm. Yet they give us a few weeks worth of training and send us to Iraq to supplement Army personnel in convoys. If I were a soldier, I wouldn't want some guy who just went through a few week courses in combat watching my back.

It seems the days of the fat Airmen are coming to an end. With the PT program still spinning up at some locations, and if you can't pass the standards, low as they may be, you are discharged.

14. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

It's not 13% anyways.

15. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Not this year...yes you are correct.

16. FD929

FD929 New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 13% was the first of the bill that Clinton introduced, wasn't it? Then 3-6% each year after for some-odd years. That was a long ass time ago.

Well at any rate, the message of the letter still applies. Although it should have been an Army grunt from the Stryker Brigade who has been in theater for 14 months so far because their year was extended. It's hard to even communicate with those guys any more.

17. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

:rofl: fucking jarheads

18. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

As an E1 I make barely $1k a month after taxes, and the military taxes the shit out of you.

Once you factor in Sea, Hazard and Flight Deck pay it evens out some though. Although not everyone gets those bonuses.

19. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Yep,

I see his point but saying something like that is what pogues say to feel better about not being combat arms.

20. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

2.2% raise FTL.

21. FD929

FD929 New Member

Not really ... At E-1 it might seem like it, but once you get to E-4 and move off base you'll thank the military for making half of your gross income tax free. It still won't be much but you'll at least thank them for that little bit extra you get to keep.

22. FD929

FD929 New Member

It's still a hazard to be in an Arab country although I hear Kuwait is a hell of a place to be. I'm sure they don't get imminent danger and hostile fire pay so in retrospect, you do actually make more. Contractors sure make a hell of a lot less than here in the armpit err... cradle of civilization. About 3k less actually.

23. FD929

FD929 New Member

Yeah I'd have to say I agree with point #1, but point #2 is way out in left field. The military has one overall objective and missions are provided for the branch that best suits the need and while each branch has it's own inherent risks, you can't tell me that someone sitting at a desk was just as much at risk as me when we were fighting a fuel station fire 2 days ago. Or the Stryker that was hit by an IED that same day for that matter.

(photo massively cropped for opsec)
    [​IMG]

24. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Military pay is garbage. I look foward to see how much I can make in the civilian world :(.

25. Zee

Zee New Member

We are when we deploy under "Operation Enduring Freedon" or 'Iraqi Freedom" at least for those months that we are there