MIL military benefits broke down

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Nausty17, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Nausty17

Nausty17 New Member

I'm 19 yrs, old pv2 currently in kalsu iraq. This is my first deployment and i am trying to figure out my options and plan ahead for what I want to do when I get out. I know there is a lot of people in here who have been in the military for quite a while and can help me out. Is what i'd like to have is a website or advice that can tell me what all being a veteran and good conduct discharge can do for me when I get out. For instance medical, taxes, loans, jobs,other benefits ect.

If someone had a website or information that can break down the gi bill so that I understand how to obtain the extra money I will have left over after I take certain classes, college courses ect. I know there has to be ways to work through the system to get the rest of the money. For instance I right off the top of my head would be to buy a few expensive books, show them them the proof and then take the books back. The army seems to screw me from all angles every now and then so i don't see what the big deal is if i use some of that money to start up my own business or something like that instead of college.

I'd also like to know about the partial retirement where if you serve 10 years you recieve 25% of the pay you were making afterwords. Is that right after the 10 years are up or when you turn a certain age. So if i didn't live to be 65 or whatever the age is it would have been pointless to suck it up for the extra 6 years? As in i would get any extra benefits besides that?

Finally what is the deal w/ getting out say a e4 or e5 taking a year or two off and then enlisting again for 6. Will I lose my rank? Any other downsides to doin that?

Sorry for all the questions but being over here we don't have a lot free time for me to do my research for myself and as you all know the goverment websites are overwhelming as fuck!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  2. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Oh boy...I'll work on a proper response tomorrow.

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

wow ...

you had me all the way until the whole education $$ scam thing.

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

:mamoru: How do I screw the military after I get out?

5. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Buy a house while you are in.

6. dubrocker

dubrocker sho nuff

i can't answer all of it, but why wouldn't you just take more classes to fulfill the gi bill? i would milk it for what it's for.

did you know that if someone enlists with the "college loan repayment program" they have to wait until their SECOND enlistment to use the gi bill? yep. get uncle sam to pay off up to 10k in college loans and you have to reenlist to even think about using your gi bill.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

More details??

8. Clix

Clix New Member

Cant you just choose though between loan repayment and the GI bill?

9. dubrocker

dubrocker sho nuff

if you come in with the loan repayment program, you have to wait until the second enlistment to use the gi bill.

a guy i work with: clrp paid 9k into his loans. he tried to get out and go to school with the gi bill and the law says that he has to reenlist to use the gi bill. true story.

10. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

get deployed. buy a house with a VA loan. get "married" with a friend. redeploy. adopt some kids if you want to go for the extra mile.

11. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

There is no way of getting more money out of the GI Bill

You are either, 1/4th, 1/2, of a Full-time student.

You will get money according to that and you can use the GI Bil website to find out exactly how much you will be getting (1/4 = 4 credits - 1/2 = 8 credits - full time 12 credits.

You could be a douche, sign up for school and classes, and fail out for two semesters and ruin you college career, but you'll have the money, BUT you still have to pay for tuition, books, and all that other shit. So basically, you'll be wasting my tax money. Or you could actually give two shits, go to college, and get decent grades and you'll be able to use all 36 months of your GI bill pending you make passing grades.

So, 2 semester / 8 months, or a full college eduction with degree, plus money left over each month for 36 months. Its not hard to figure out the intelligent choice here. You may even be as wise to get a full-time job with tuition reinbutsement, get money from them, then apply for the Pell grant, and get more money, and again, with your two options of going all the way with passing grades, or rape taxpayers money and go for 2 semesters.

I also will advise you, do the 600 buy in. BAsically, its the most sound investment you could do. The 600 buy in will get you 5200 dollars later, which is an extra 150 a month while you are in school.

Also, as long as you don't make over 20 or 30k a year, you will be covered by the VA, or if you deploy to the desert at all, you will have 2 years of Tricare still (I don't think you can get prime unless you still live near a base)

The system for us Vets really isn't that bad, and if you use them to your advantage, more power to you. I've also heard a "rumor" that they will deny payments to classes that you fail, its not in regs, but, it happens, so you could be stuck with a LARGE bill for being a dipshit.

-Fin (Holding a 3.8 GPA since my service and thats from a 1.4 GPA before I went in)

I'll give you my case and point of working the system the right way, so you wake up okay in the morning.

I'm doing my GI Bill, After books/tuition I get around 650 a month. I also get disablity (which honestly, I'd rather be able to run than get a 367 dollar check each month. I only get 1000 total a month, you'll be looking at 1400 total a month.

1400 dollars - cell phone, car insurance, rent (in a AVERAGE town (not cali, nyc, etc.,), you'll have beer money left over after each month and then some, maybe even a car payment. If you were actually disiplined a month, you CAN go to school easily without worrying about working.

Or just do like me, I am working full-time while I go to school online through a state program (RDOP for anyone curious), so I make a decent salary + I get the GI Bill/Disability each month, so you can tack on an extra 12k a year to whatever you make. Its all about how hard you are willing to work.

Why try to screw the system, when working with it, you'll gain, and the system's original purpose will be better for looking at yourself in the morning.

12. Jyokker

check!

13. Jyokker

NO-GO, GO, GO, NO-GO, GO (not adopted, mine)

14. darnit

darnit New Member