MIL military and history of depression

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Motosaki2, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Motosaki2

Motosaki2 Guest

i want to join the air force, it is a top priority of mine at the moment. the only thing i am somewhat concerned about is I have taken antidepressants in the past, and spent 2 weeks in an inpatient facility for threats of suicide when I was 17. I am 23 now, and have been off of medications for years and am the happiest guy in the world. i know this question will come up at some point in the recruitment process, and I am beside myself worrying about if it will disqualify me.

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

if it has been several years, you can probably get a waiver. Go talk to a recruiter and see what they have to say

3. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Remember AF is hardest branch to get into normally, and we're in a recession. Not to discourage you trying, but don't go in there thinking you will get picked up. Hard to get in with waivers right now.

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

well my guess is with all the talk latley of suicide in the military (AF just had one at Minot) your process is gonna be hard, the AF has no problem finding people so taking someone with a history of mental problems will not be a priority.

5. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

Good luck man! I knew of lots of people that took them while active duty... and hell one that was inpatient in a psych ward. He is TSgt on first try now.