MIL Military and graduate school?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dash, May 16, 2005.

1. Dash

Dash math is :o

Are there any tracks in any of the services which would pay for me to go to graduate school in a field like Operations Research provided I follow through with service afterwards?

A relative is currently being sent to medical school by the Army, with the promise of being an army doctor afterwards, and I just wonder if that is unique or exists for other fields too?

2. KyngNothing

KyngNothing My own little world...

If you were already in and worked for any of the analysis or logistal groups, possibly...

or you could get a job as a civilian, and they probably pay you then...

see: AEC, AMSAA, ARL, MCOTEA etc

3. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

The best bet for that is becoming an officer, so going through OCS, ROTC, or one of the service academies will be required to get commissioned. After that, you will have to spend your time doing company command, such as a platoon leader, company commander etc. unless you have an extremely specialized area of research. (Like being a doctor, chaplain, veterinarian, etc.) For operations research you will likely be required to make captain, or captain promotable before they send you to graduate school. This will be after about 8 years or so. If they see that you have the potential to go to graduate school, you will need to show a lot of interest in serving out at least a 20 year career in the military.

Also, not everything is gauranteed for you in the military. Most of the time you will have to do what they tell you unless you can show that you would be very skilled in abilities pertaining to operations research.