SRS Mild Depression? After 2 years?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DreamDemon, Mar 3, 2006.

1. DreamDemon

DreamDemon New Member

I'm currently taking an Abnormal Psychology class in which we are FINALLY going over the different mood disorders...the different depressions, generalized anxieties, blah blah. More to the point, the other day we were going over "Mild Depression" and one of the stipulations of beind diagnosed was that the person had to have symptoms for 2 or more years.

Now, maybe it's just me, but it seems absolutely STUPID that someone would wait or would have to wait for 2 years before being treated for feeling like shit. Maybe the reason I'm so ...upset? pissed?... something! about this is that since I moved out of my hometown about 2 months ago, I've been slowly ... finding myself depressed more days than not.

During that lecture, I could not help but go through the checklist of symptoms and realize... "oh gee...maybe I AM depressed." However, since it's not technically major depression (since basically I still function day-to-day) there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

Not that I"m looking for something to fix it I guess... I know why I'm depressed and I'm looking for something to fix it outside of therapy or meds or whatever. It's just my life in general....

Anyway, this got WAY too long.

Cliffs: In order to be treated for mild depression, an individual is "supposed" to have symptoms for 2+ years. Bullshit? or not? What are everyone's thoughts?

2. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

That's stupid. What if everyone I know and associate dies this very second. Am I not allowed to be depressed for 2 years? :ugh: I'm with you on it being b.s.

3. DreamDemon

DreamDemon New Member

Not sure that you understood what I mean.

In order for a person to be diagnosed and treated for mild depression, they have to have symptoms, such as
    Insomnia
    Lack of appetite
    a feeling of hopelessness
    fatigue
    and so on... they must suffer from these things for 2 years or more before they can be diagnosed, and therefore treated...

4. ~*Mia*~

~*Mia*~ New Member

that's just silly. I've been in depression for about four months now (well, I suppose it may be just a slight bit more than 'mild' though). My mom finally got me to talk to my doctor and she prescribed something to treat it. Although I refuse to take medications like that so haven't :o I know why I'm depressed (terribly hurt by my ex-fiance and still reeling from the pain is most of it, and I'm also very ill) so hopefully I can fix it on my own. But the idea that I would have to be feeling as I feel for two years is absurd. God, I HOPE I'm not still feeling like this two years from now! :eek: :(

5. DreamDemon

DreamDemon New Member

Oh no, I'm familiar with the DSM-IV, as well as the components behind the other 4 (counting the revised 3rd? edition)... It was just something that struck me as being kind of odd.

I guess it never really occurred to me that if one decided to get help BEFORE the 2-year mark, that they could be labled with another type of disorder or issue.

But doesn't that seem weird in itself? That's a label that will be on that person's medical history for... well? who knows how long. And then just after that 2-year mark, it's magically "mild depression" when it was probably just that all along?

Making sense at all, or am I just rambling?

6. DreamDemon

DreamDemon New Member

Good lord. I'm just an undergrad with a declared Communication Disorders major. I'm not so sure that this is what's right for me, and was actually thinking about looking into something with more Psychology (since REALLY that's what I was most interested in both IN high school and leaving it) but that's kinda creepy about the schitzo (skitzo, whatever... that word just seems odd to me).

Ahhh...! I just dont know. Something more to think about now that you've presented me with that information.

And I realize it's not a black and white field ... I guess really I should have thought about this a little more before I posted it. But this is kinda what I was looking for I guess: Just some other people's feedback. Also thought this might be a good place to post because it seems so many of us are dealing with depression issues in some way or another.

I know it helps me to look at my own issues through a more... Umm... medical? or maybe practical? way... rather than letting my emotions tell me, "well this is the way you're feeling, and that's all there is to it."

I just realized that I pretty much repeated what you just said about people fucking with their own heads. whoa.:)

7. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

:uh: If you knew anything about the mood disorders you would know that if someone is depressed because of someone dying then it is NOT clinical depression. Those people are depressed for pretty much no reason.

8. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

the problem you speak of only exists because as humans we categorize everything and most mental problems can't be categorized, which is why the general DSM thing of like if you have 5 out of 7 symptoms (for instance) you qualify, but really, its all a continuim. This is why when people go to shrinks of psychologists they are usually diagnosed with more than one disorder if they are at all. I personally feel that the profession itself pathologizes so many things that are simply a normal part of being alive that if you look through the DSM any mentally healthy person could qualify for any number of disorders. Like one person in this thread got diagnosed with depression because she was still sad about her ex, and basically the manual says if youre sad for over 3 months you have depression.

Just so you know, many studies say that therapy works just as well as therapy + medication and usually is better than medication alone. I think most people just get in a rut in their way of thinking, basically you should just talk to someone you're close to and trust about the way you've been feeling and maybe they can give you another perspective, which is often what people need.