MMA Mike and Mike

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ilduce, May 29, 2007.

1. ilduce

ilduce New Member

Did anyone catch Mike and Mike today on Espn? The show started off talking about the UFC and lacrosse which for me was heaven. Lacrosse just because I have played for years and shortly will be trying out for some pro teams and the UFC for obvious reasons. Golic whom I think is fairly representative of the demographic that enjoys the UFC. It seems from recent polls and such that for the most part the public looks forward to and enjoys the UFC while our "beloved" journalists and reporters seemingly cant get over the "brutality" of the sport. It seems as if there is something within the media that really wants to hold the sport back but listening to Golic was, I think, what most people think. He said it was brutal but he loved it and it was worth the $39.99 he paid for it. The other Mike was saying it was brutal and the main event only lasted a few minutes and if that was boxing everyone would be complaining. That was countered by Golic who said that unlike boxing he enjoyed watching the undercard eventhough he didnt know any of the fighters which made it worthwhile. Anyway just my 2.

2. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

i completly agree, the under card of a boxing match is a few guys who nobody has heard of and have no championship reprocussions. The undercard of a UFC/Pride are guys you know for the most part and have championship reprocussions a lot of the time.

3. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

The undercard is usually some of the best fights anyway, even when you've never heard of them before, ala Houston Alexander. Thats the idea of the undercard: let these up and commers get in, put on a show, and start making their names bigger.

4. ilduce

ilduce New Member

Agreed,but the other major difference is that the undercard of the UFC is entertaining it is not something where someone will order the pay-per-view and then watch the NBA playoffs until the main event starts, like is so often done in boxing. You make a great point as well, many of the matches in the UFC has some type of repercussions to them. For example, Karo winning that match puts him in a great spot to have a title shot or at least fight for a title shot in the not so distant future. Alexander destroying Jardine like he did puts him on the map and he will for sure be back, it is not like boxing where most times you will see a fighter on the undercard and then never see them again.

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Some of my friends still don't get it. All they care about is the main event. They don't realize that if this were boxing many of the undercard fights could be headliners.