Migration Assistant question v. Leopard

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by aCab, Jan 30, 2008.

1. aCab

aCab New Member

So I'm trying to migrate my files from my old macbook to my new macbook using migration assistant. Problem is, my music, documents, pictures, etc. won't transfer with it, I'm having to do them manually. Is this normal?

Also, when I migrate programs, will I need to put in the serials numbers for all my programs again?

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

The Migration assistant should give you a couple options and you should be able to transfer everything over from your music and video collection to your system settings, applications, and preferences. How are you doing it? Connecting another computer via FW, mounting a Disk Image, etc?

3. aCab

aCab New Member

I'm using a FW cable to transfer everything. It only gives me the option to move what is calls "top" files or something like that. Not even a gig. :dunno: All of my programs are there, but none of my personal data went.

4. cftofu2k

cftofu2k OT Supporter

i did about 150gb manually over the last two days, and everything transferred ok. did not even know about migration assistant :eek3:

from macbook/pc to imac..

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Hmmmm, should give you the option to transfer most of what's in the User folder. Documents, applications, network settings, system preferences, etc. May want to launch it again and give it a try once more. /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant