SRS Migraine medicine questions.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by FredricaBimmel, Nov 9, 2007.

1. FredricaBimmel

FredricaBimmel Great big fat person

I get migraines on a regular basis and I've been given Migquin and then Duradrin for them over the past year or so. They help if I can catch them when I get the visuals before the pain.

Do any of you have experience with these meds? I've talked to my doctor about getting on daily meds to stop them and I'm curious about those as well. Any advice?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Just grabbing towards medicines thinking there is a pill for every problem in this world is not the way to go. First you need to goto the root of your problem and ask yourself the question 'why' am i getting migraines?

Now the brain itself cannot feel pain, it can only receive it, so most of the migraines are causes by tissues that are under pressure and as a result of this pressure are pressing against nerves in the head.

So the first thing that i would do if i where you is check your blood pressure. If that is within normal values, you would need a lumbar punction to see on wether your cerebal spinal fluid is under normal values of pressures and not pressing the brain tissues against the meninges membranes like the dura mater that is able to feel pain.

Next to that there are cavities within the human skull in the front that can also be infected and cause migraines and pain.

Because your migraine comes from period to period i tend to think that they are blood pressure related. Once you have a migraine let your blood pressure be tested, and see if its over normal values, if it is, then maby a certain food type is giving you a headacke.

Wether you suffer from stress is something only you can answer because along with severe stress migraines are also common.

So my advice would be to discover the root cause of what's causing you migraines.

3. BlaXicaN

BlaXicaN OT Supporter

well in any stressful situations your blood pressure is going to be elevated. but yeah i had a similar situation. i had gone thru some rough anxiety in college. i got put on lexapro/xanax but not even a week later, i came to realize i didnt want to rely on a pill to make me happy. so it took strong will, a little bit of personality change, and most importantly imo, a good healthy diet to get me out of that state. i still get some physical symptoms of anxiety like maybe palpitations or something like that but it doesn't cross my mind as much.
    i would look at your current lifestyle and find out if there is anything that you do that sparks these migraines?

4. SixSecrets

SixSecrets New Member

I get migraines--have had them for years (over 25 years). Nasty. Sometimes they last for over a week and when they get to that point I go to the ER and ask them to knock me out with something.

I have tried all sorts of medications-Darvon & Fiorinal, etc. but they do not help. Either does Imitrex (it made me feel as though an elephant was sitting on my chest).

BUT! I went to Chinatown in Montreal and got some salve made up by the Herbologist there. It stinks so bad...however, if I catch the migraine in time and slather the back of my neck and temples with the goo, I have a 50-50% chance of getting rid of the headache.

I also find (and don't laugh) sitting on the edge of the tub with my feet in very hot water and a bag of frozen vegetables (peas are the best) plunked on the very top of my head helps, as does slightly dampened facecloths that have been nuked for about 50 seconds placed over my eyes and forehead.

Hey...I feel your pain.

Good luck.

5. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I have them once in a while too. Doctor gave me something in pill form a while back that would knock me out for about 2 or 3 hours cold...I can't say which one right now because I've been lucky enough not to have had a migraine in about a couple years, so I threw the bottle away. I can say if you have a bad migraine, medication is WONDERFUL.

But I do agree a bit with what DarkEternal is suggesting...try to note what might be bringing these attacks on.

I've been able to curb my migraines by recognizing what brings them on. e.g., long periods behind my computer. Also, having non-regular sleep patterns caused it too. i.e., sleeping too late, taking longer mid-day naps.

Give yourself some breaks, try get some healthy diet and exercise, get some regular sleep...then see what happens. Of course consult a doctor.

6. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

I've never taken those drugs, but I take the Imatrex shot- it's :bowdown: and better than the nasal spray I think. I've read that the daily meds work well, but I don't know anyone who takes them.