MIL Might need a username change soon...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by C5Load, Sep 14, 2005.

1. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

I'm probably going in today to ask to be reclassed/retrained. I'm sick of office politics, supervisors (for the most part), and not being able to do much of any real schooling. I'm at the point where I feel I could serve the country and the air force better in another career field. I've talked it over with my supervisors, and they'll sign off on it. It basically goes to my commander now.

The list of jobs that I'd be interested in, based on "Retraining Objectives Air Force-Wide as of 09 Sep 2005" (what jobs are open) are

1N411- Network Intel
    1N611- Network Systems Security
    2E111- Satellite and Wideband Systems
    2E211- Computer Networks and Switching Systems
    2E613- Telephone Systems
    3A011- Information Management
    3C311- Computer Systems Planning/Implementation
    3E511- Engineering
    6F011- Contracting

of freaking course, 3c0x2 (programming) has 15 SSgt slots right now, but no airman slots.

Any of you guys know anyone in these fields? i'd love some firsthand knowledge. about.com only tells me so much.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  2. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

You'll be working for me :hs:, nice to meet you :joshers:

3. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

2E6X3 is what I do, ask your questions.

4. C5Load

how's the job/hours? I'm really hopin to be able to do some school at some point.

deployment rate's pretty low, i assume?

5. brackac

There are two sides to the 2E6X3 career field, and any other comm career field. Fixed comm bases, and combat comm bases. Combat Comm has an extremely high deployment rate, and the majority of people have to volunteer for Korea to get out of Combat Comm. The upside to Combat Comm is that when you are not deployed you really don't have much to do, and school is readily available. Fixed Comm is like working a civilian job. You have a set schedule, and you pretty much stay on that schedule. School is available as long as you don't get stuck on swings or mid shift. They are starting to deploy fixed comm bases to the AOR now. Something to keep in mind.

After 13+ years in communications between the Army, WorldCom, and the Air Force I would not suggest you crosstrain into a comm AFSC is one of your reasons for retraining is office politics or low deployments.

6. C5Load

deploying really isn't an issue, since I've already spent the equivalent of a deployment in the desert TDY. It's something i'd rather avoid, but it's the nature of the beast, you know?

I'd hope for Fixed :) :x:

7. Accord

Accord New Member

Your current loadmaster job seems more interesting/exciting than all the jobs you've listed.

8. C5Load

i'm sure it is, but i've always worked with computers, and i'll probably be working with them when I get out. retraining just makes more sense to me right now.

9. Accord

Accord New Member

UAV pilot?

10. C5Load

those aren't O's?

and not much UAV flying on the civvie side :naughty:

11. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm pretty sure that all UAV pilots are on the enlisted side. I know that's how it is in the army and USMC, so it's probably the same for the air force too.

It's probably fun as hell :bigthumb:.

12. C5Load

oh, brack... how's tech school?

13. C5Load

if you've seen me play Flight Simulator, you'd think twice asking me to pilot a multi-million dollar aircraft.

14. Accord

Accord New Member

15. C5Load

16. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

no, all USAF UAV pilots right now are rated officers. Mostly pilots, and I believe some navigators, although even the navs need certain civilian qualifications. It's a budding career field, and although it's certain to grow, opinions are most definitely up in the air as far as desirability.

The main reason is that Army and USMC UAVs are all tactical, battle-field level platforms, while the Predator and Global Hawk are more operational and strategic-level birds that cost a shit-ton more to operate and replace.

17. brackac

I didn't go to tech school in the Air Force.

18. evan2

evan2 Guest

3E511- Engineering
    Thats me so ask away, we are always hurting for SrA, they either get out or make staff but for the most part that is the only spot we are always missing really

tech school is at an army post in missouri, the area sucks
    i thought it was more fun since i was a tech schooler not perm party being that I could pretty much do the same shit oncei was in the right phase
    being its small it was easy for them to be lax on us.. plus more people to chill with
    classes arent big so you could be the only perm party, we hung with out one perm chick but she was only a sra.. though we had a bunch of issues with perm guys fucking the tech girls

lots of army whores tehre.. downtown is boring
    lots of strip clubs

you can pm me about the job itself

19. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

Hell yeah.. Ft Leonard Wood is teh SHiT! Can't beat the Rockin R.. or all the post whores at the club.. lol.. that place was great..

My 2 cents is that most if not all comm has really turned into a political problem.
    Out of your list your best bet for what you want in a work place is contracting. Simply because as a SrA you will be negotiating and reviewing contracts on your own. The job is mostly civilianized which is good and bad. However you have to deal with the politics of the base....But you do work strict 7:30-4:30 hours and no weekend or after hours calls. But trust me.. USAF contracts are no joke and I don't see how those folks find job satisfaction in pouring over 50-70 page documents dealing with nothing more than cutting the grass in some cases.

Have you thought about OSI??:naughty: I say that as a joke because OSI is probably THE MOST political AFSC the USAF has..Although they are receptive to you doing college time and deployments aren't that bad... (you get to wear civilian clothes, drink alcohol, and go off the yard) The normal frequency is one six month deployment every two years.

Seriously though, given what you spoke about; have you thought about services. Sure the job isn't that rewarding but it fits everything that you want.

20. evan2

evan2 Guest

shit trust me contracting is a small porting of my job only because part of my job is being an construction inspector.. or even service contracts which i would monitor a service type contract
    most bases have civs doing this becuase we leave to much and its a pain becuase you really need to know hte contract and base

it just depends where you are.. but we deal with contracting people all the time and most of time they are always pissy.. i couldnt do that job
    most people ive met besides a few have been wierd

being a SRA you will get the little baby ones depending on where you are.. plus civillians dominate the field for the most part
    though in my AFSC you are working with mostly civillian engineers because Officer types are usually fresh out and dont know shit, at eglin being we have one of the biggger eng flights new lts would just be our bitches and not do much
    mostly got stuck doing more school and they got to run military programs

so I have always worked with more civs then anything which is nice because they are just that.. not military

i work alone now as a SRA, granted the base is small being fairford i have no one to tell me what to do
    I was the only milcon inspector at Eglin taking the slot from a MSgt, i had 10 million dollar construction projects to inspect.. though i was at Eglin longer then anyone else and they knew I could handle it and that I liked to work alone
    I hate having people over me telling me how to do my job

we have a lot of bases with 1 or 2 deep... though some arent
    being your rank you could get thrown anywhere

but depending on your situation you would prob get stuck in drafting/surveying which isnt bad because this is really how our AFSC got started

back when we were site developers and that was the AFSC name.. its good knowledge
    then you have service contracts which sucks... you basically monitor a service contract ie Trash pick up, cleaning of buildings etc, interior paint

Construction inspection which is my favorite.. you have IDIQ contracts which always have the SAME SOW, statement of work.. basically something like exterior paint
    the SOW remains the same as do prices, it just depends on the size
    but the AF will put out a delivery order to paint these said buildings

you inspect and do some paper work.. i had fence and paint along with the milcon shit at eglin

then you have other projects.. ie building a new building, upgrading electrical in a building etc

all kinds of shit

you then have SABER which created a mini engineer
    you design, do up the costs and inspect the project
    though you have one saber contractor for the base and for the most part a lot of the typical contracting bs is left out of it

you just have to agree on price etc

but you ownthe project for the most part, i love it becuase its all you

mostly for higher ups though it depends where you are at

then you have something NEw for us, well a few years old.. and its what Im doing over here at Fairford with no prior exp

GIS - geographic information systems.. its basically the most advanced mapping program out there, its used in the outside all the time.. its an old program the AF just never used it, its costly for one and auto cad always worked

but we end up with 409348230428 maps all around base and you can Xref stuff but its hard to keep track

with GIS you have one base and one map

now from that one map you can make different ones.. it works the same with layers and everything but its more advanced and its basically tables and maps

were we still use CAD for inside the building.. GIS is its own function and its not easy
    though most of its just technical crap, id much rather use CAD though i see the benefit of GIS