Might my hard drive be dying?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Penguin Man, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

So I come home from school today and sit down at my computer, only to find that it has entirely frozen, and the hard drive light is on and not going off, despite the fact that there shouldn't be anything going on on the computer. So I do a hard reset and it boots back up, I check my hardware monitor in the BIOS and nothing seems unusual there (temperatures and fans are normal), so it continues to boot. It gets to loading Linux, and it sounds as if it's squeaking constantly for about a minute. It also gives me some strange IDE and EXT3 error-type messages and is generally slow booting up (although this could be because of the hard reset, I'm not sure).

It's mainly the squeaking that bothers me, is it likely the hard drive, or could it be something else? As I type, the hard drive light is repeatedly going on and off, unusual since there isn't anything going on on the computer (other than Mozilla and the usual background things). There's no characteristic clicking sound, however.

Anyone know how I should check whether it's the drive? I'd like to figure it out quickly so that if needed I can migrate before it dies entirely.

2. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

i have never heard of a harddrive squeaking. but no matter what if you have something on there that youw ant, i'd get it off there right now. if your harddrive has never made this sound before, and just now it's making that sound and just now you are having problems i'd say your hd is about to die. but like you said it is odd given that it is not the typical clicking sound. are you sure it's the hd and not a fan or something?

3. Penguin Man

I'll try unplugging my fans and such when I have time and checking, but it doesn't really sound like it's coming from the fans.

4. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

my suggestionw ould be to take the case off and then try to locate the sound by putting your ear up next to it. it's not easy, but maybe you can pinpoint it

5. Penguin Man

Yeah. Thing is, it doesn't make the noise very often, only occaisionally.