Might get a Ram

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by teflondon, Dec 23, 2004.

1. teflondon

teflondon Guest

I've been working on getting a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. It's black, 35k miles, chromed out. 4.7L V8, very nice. I like it a lot. Hopefully I'll be taking it home soon. Anyone else have '02+ Rams?

2. 4C FED

4C FED Ain't my GOD DAMN planet understand monkey-boy!

I have an '04 Quad Cab SLT with the 4.7.
    It's ok. Nothing special, fits enough people & hauls the boat I have just fine.
    Front shocks are a little to soft & the rears are to stiff.
    My major complaint is the soft shifts the tranny has. But since the drivetrain controller handles the shifting (torque management), there's not much you can do about it.

3. Stevecdn001

Stevecdn001 OT Supporter

How's the 4.7 for power in a full size?

4. 4C FED

Nothing to write home about.
    It's adequate, capable of merging with highway traffic, but unable to break the tires loose from a standstill.

I've ordered a CAI kit for it & I'm still thinking about swapping out the humongous stock muffler for something lighter & louder.

5. 4C FED

Yes, it has a tow/haul mode. I believe it increases the shift rpm's by some 200-500 rpm's & locks out OD. As for shift firmness in this mode, none noticed.

I haven't seen anything in the way of a Power Programmer for the 4.7 yet.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there are aftermarket mods you can do to customize the tranny to your liking. Check out a company called "Level 10".

As for the CAI, is it a true CAI? Or just a cone filter? Usually throwing a cone filter in the engine bay means your intake temps rise, and air is less dense. Less dense air means less power.

7. 4C FED

Truck will be under an extended warranty for some time, so I'm not willing to tear into it. WOuld like to find some type of ECM/PCM programmer to step things up a notch.

Yes, the CAI is a real one not just a cone filter. It extends down into the fenderwell and has an insulation wrap around the tubing, as well.
    ricermod#1.jpg:o
    [​IMG]

8. MattyCakes

MattyCakes Guest

Your the man now dawg.

9. 4C FED

There is no shift kit avaiable for the 5-45RE 5 Speed.

Retarded.:ugh2:
    Auto>Manual for towing & for the wife to drive.
    If I want to go insanely fast, I already have the Syclone. :noes:
    The Dodge is for towing the boat & family transportation. It doesn't need to be "ballsy", just reliable.

10. FlameRedXJ

FlameRedXJ Professional Lurker!

I have one of those air filters. The guy that sells those lives across town from me, pretty cool guy. I have a single cab 4.7 5-speed manual, airram intake, exhaust, throttle body, and 4.10s with limited slip. It runs ok, but if you want a ram that is quick start out with a hemi or better yet an SRT-10. I like mine and plan on keeping it for awhile, but it won't keep up with a HEMI!

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

prolly don't want a dodge, then.

If "reliable" is what you need, and it doesn't have to be "ballsy" but it needs some power to it, I'd highly recommend a Toyota Tundra with the 4.7L iForce V8. Still 280+ hp stock, and that's as reliable as they come in that category.

12. 4C FED

We'll see. I'm not a real big Dodge fan, but my '96 Caravan went 180k before the tranny went. The drivetrain was the most reliable thing in it, even though the tranny is supposed to be the biggest POS in history. It's all the little electrical things that break that are the problem.
    My wife drives The RAM 95% of the time, so it doesn't get beat on. Should last a long time.:x:

The Dodge gets it on just fine. If I need to go FAST, the Syclone is always available.
    The Syclone just doesn't get driven in the rain. :nono:
    To much money into it to have someone rearend it or worse.

13. 4C FED

Teehee, you used the word quick in the same sentence with Hemi & SRT-10.:mamoru:

I had a Hemi 4X4 loaner while mine was at the dealer for some installed options. It couldn't even break the tires loose.:ugh2:

14. FlameRedXJ

FlameRedXJ Professional Lurker!

Well first of all it was a 4x4. But they are making turbo kits and superchargers now for the HEMI. A couple guys are running high 13's in single cab 4x2s with just minor bolt ons. Thats not bad for a pickup as heavy as they are and not having boost. But of course If I had the cash I would have a syclone or typhoon, prefer the syclone though. Love those trucks.