GUN might do FTF soon, any advice?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jehan60188, Feb 23, 2009.

1. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

2. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Rehearse that line from Ronin until you're convincing.

3. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Take cash and another gun incase things so south. I would skip writing a bill of sale

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

[arfcom] Watch your cornhole, bud [/arfcom]

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

No one in their right mind will take a personal check. Pay cash, and only cash. Use the smell of money in the face as a bargaining tool. You forgot that last $50 at home, etc.

I always provide a bill of sale when I'm selling, but usually for my own protection (to have proof that the gun isn't hidden somewhere in my house). I've gotten them when I buy, but wouldn't care otherwise.

Take personal precautions as well, you are dealing with guns and cash to a person you don't know. Bring a friend, FTF in a parking lot, carry a gun, etc.

As for price..... That scope looks like junk. Base is good, rings will work. Stock sucks. Ask who did the "trigger job", if it's no one that you know (and he can't provide documentation), it didn't happen. A remmy trigger takes about 15min to tune, don't go paying $40 for someone to fuck it up for you.

If it were me, I'd want him to keep the stock/rings/scope, and try snagging just the barreled action for $350, but I imagine that won't work. Unless he's throwing in the scope cheap enough for you to make some $$ on (which would likely be hard to do), tell him to keep it and use the money to buy a 4.4x14 Buckmaster instead.

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Pay cash, get gun, leave. I see no point in a bill of sale.

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I wouldn't pull "I left the other $50 at home" - thats bullshit. Agree on the price beforehand.

8. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Take another carry piece with you, and make sure it's a public place. I'm always paranoid about it being a setup robbery.

9. sprite

sprite Active Member

I can only speak for myself but that is a quick way to make it wasted trip for both parties.

If you have a legitimate gripe about condition or something once you see it and want to try and talk it down based on that reasoning, then go for it. But, if a price has been agreed to in advance, and the first words out of your mouther are "I only have..." then I'm packing my shit up and rolling without saying another word. :dunno:

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Obviously if you and the guy have both driven 2 hours for an already set price, it would probably be a pretty bad decision to try and lowball him there. That's probably a good way to get cussed and/or knocked upside the head.

It was more of a joke than anything, but I still always bring cash. Most of the time it's just a simple pay/inspect/leave scenario, but I've negotiated deals on the spot before as well too. Just depends on who you are dealing with, and where you know them from.

11. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I wouldn't ever sell any gun to anyone without getting their information and signature on a bill of sale. If that gun gets picked up in a robbery or a murder, guess who gets screwed?

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Most states don't have gun registration?

13. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

It's not hard to get the serial number off the gun, track it back through the manufacturer, then to the dealer. Dealers are required to keep some amount of paperwork for years. Even though there is no "gun registration" like a national database, they can still track a firearm to your doorstep if they go through enough trouble.

14. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

yah, i would love to meet the diligent detective that does that. we could put him on all those unsolved murders out there...

15. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Unless it's a company that doesn't exist or a mil-surp rifle, they can easily get all that info and find you. A friend of mine worked at a gun shop as a gunsmith for a while and was given the task once of moving some of the sales receipts around to the back. There were files that were 12 years old.

You guys can not believe me or belittle what I'm saying, but that isn't an excuse to not fill out a bill of sale when you sell a firearm. The last firearm I sold was to a gentleman at a local club that requires background checks. I just got his name and a signature, and noted the make and serial number of the gun. It was about 4 lines on a sheet of paper but it could still save my ass if a crime were committed with that gun.

16. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Something like 75% of all murders in my city so far this year have been with stolen guns. One of them was a Mini-14 that was a so called "community asset" where they kept it in a common area the gang members all knew about, and wiped it down when they were done with it. The other 25% were solved very easily, as they were usually domestics.

17. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Every gun I have ever sold has been sold with a bill of sale for each person. Basically stating who it was sold to and that they can legally own said firearm. Signed with license or chl number. If you don't want to sign it I won't sell it to you. I make this clear before any kind of meeting so no time is wasted by either party.

As for the rifle for sale. It looks like it's been bastardized. If you shop around I'm sure you could find a much better deal on a much better setup.

18. Crossett

Crossett New Member

I've only bothered with a bill of sale in FTF transactions when I was the seller. Just wanted to be able to prove the date that the gun left my possession if need be.

19. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

Bring a gun of your own. Bring a friend with a gun of his/her own if at all possible. Meet in daylight at a public place, what you are doing is legal so don't be afraid of being "seen".

Pay cash, bill of sale is up to you, personally I do not give my address if its someone I don't know. I go a little overboard and take a really ridiculous way home and pay close attention to the cars behind me to make sure nobody is following me.

20. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

My bill of sale has this:

my name
    purchasing party name
    date
    purchase party CHL # or purchase permit
    weapon model
    weapon serial number

signature of both parties

and we each get a copy.

21. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Be like Fr0ng and give the guy $50 too much. Just because.

22. striker754

striker754 Chillin

no thanks. not giving some fuckass i dont even know my drivers license and all my info. the law requires no bill of sale so I'll keep it like that

23. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

werd, i do the same

24. RRTX

RRTX New Member

You have zero liability on a face to face sale if you had no reason to believe that person was prohibited from possessing firearms. (at least in TX) With the prevalence of identity theft nowadays there is no way I'm letting a random stranger write down my info. Now if they want to see that I have a CHL or something just to feel better I'll show that, but showing is all they are going to get.

OP, are you a TX resident? From your original post it kind of sounds like you are coming here from somewhere else but it could just be how I'm reading it. If you are not a TX resident the transaction would be illegal (barring being military stationed here or a few other circumstances.)