MIL Might be going to MEPS

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fourty03, Mar 25, 2009.

1. fourty03

fourty03 The quick brown fox couldn't jump over your mother

I might be going to MEPS friday depending on paperwork.... :wiggle:

2. Off

Off Memento Mori

dont clench when they put the tube up there

3. fourty03

lolz .... dont tell me that shit

it's called teh finger wave .....

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Wrong end. He's talking about the ballsack inspection. They used to give you a shot in the nuts during basic with a square needle. Nowadays they do an examination that's less painful than the old immunization, but more embarrassing.

Just remember - DO NOT get an erection while they do the exam! :o

5. Ranger-AO

Oh - and what branch and MOS/AFSC?

No matter what they tell you, the only way you lose at MEPS is if you let them bypass their own rules. If you don't get exactly what you want, DON'T SIGN THE PAPER. You ALWAYS have the option of walking out and coming back next week.

6. WildBull

WildBull Guest

hope you get a female asshole checker bro

7. teabagn

teabagn New Member

:werd:

Really though, have fun with them poking your chocolate star fish. :)

8. fourty03

Thanks guys ... lolz

great heads up :eek4:

Please forgive me - the lingo is still very new ...
    Army
    76 on asvab
    I am interested in either missile repair / maintenance or satellite repair / maintenance/ operator <--- is that right ?

Im into electronics, telecommunications and repair
    ( I work at Comcast as a Lead tech - from the headend to customer
    basically repairing and maintaining the cable infrastructure. I have not
    learned Fiber yet but I have been exposed to it...)

Would anyone recommend a field to look at that I could consider?

I was with the recruiter yesterday for about 5 - 6 hours
    and the only thing may hold me up is a felony - disposition of the case
    resulted in Not Guilty. Some bullshit I did when I just turned 18....

Thanks for the help guys

Edit - I didnt study for the test either (last time I even used brain power was in Highschool.. 8 yrs ago) - I know whats on it now and what areas to work on -

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  9. fourty03

Sorry, forgot to add....

There were some question I did not think of to ask the recruiter.

Basically, when you go to MEPS and get everything done there - and everything is good - How do they figure out when you are going to basic?

Also,
    What kind of shit would they pull so I could be on the look out?

10. Off

Off Memento Mori

look into signals, to some extent its pretty much the same thing, though you'll have to learn a lot more shit (radios, encryption, radar + all types of electronics).

I dont know about americans, but here the infantry handles their own platoon level comms now, but at the company level and beyond comms is Sigs, so that could be a chance to deploy and not sit in a FOB for a year, if that's something you want to do.

11. Jabbermewmew

Jabbermewmew OT Supporter

After I was done signing I sat down at a computer with someone, they asked me when I wanted to leave for basic/ait and whether or not I wanted osut. I said asap and they said I left for training in 2 weeks.

You should be able to choose roughly when you want to leave, or at least I was able to.

If you fail any tests you may get disqualified for certain MOSs you're looking at, make sure there aren't any waivers I guess he's trying to say. idk 100% I didn't get fucked over. meps went perfect for me, except for the fact I was there for 10 hours

12. Ranger-AO

Think of it like a roller coaster ride. Every car only has so many slots for people to sit in. When all of the slots are full, everyone in line has to wait for the next car to come in. Each Company in basic and AIT (where you get trained for your specific job/MOS) only has so many openings for recruits and trainees. As recruits sign their contracts, they are slotted for one of those openings. If it's a high demand position, there may be a ton of openings, and you may be asked to ship out right away. If it isn't a high demand position, you may be told that the next available slot will be in XX months from now. There are a ton of reasons why a recruit may not ship out on his scheduled date - anything from he got cold feet to he was arrested for something or he failed his piss test. Whenever a recruiter knows that a scheduled recruit isn't going to ship, he will try to get someone else into that slot. So if you aren't scheduled to ship out for XX months, you may get a call sometime before then asking if you want to ship out early.

My son that enlisted into the Air Force told me that when he was at MEPS they told him that their computer system was down, so they couldn't give him a guaranteed job selection. He signed the contract anyway (going against my advice) which opened him up to being shoved into any job the military wanted to give him. I wasn't there, so I can't say for sure, but I call BS on the computer glitch excuse. And even if there was a computer issue, he should have just told them he would come back another day after the problem was fixed.

When you sign a contract at MEPS, it will have EXACTLY what you have been promised. If you have been promised a bonus and it isn't on the contract - you WILL NOT get your bonus. If someone tells you that you can be a satellite tech and it isn't on your contract - you WILL NOT be a satellite tech. If it isn't on your contract, YOU WILL NOT GET IT.

So before you go to MEPS you need to have a pretty good idea what jobs you want to pick from. Knowing the job title is good, but knowing the MOS (occupational specialty code) is better.

The first part of MEPS is the physical. You'll be in a long conga line getting poked/prodded/etc. After that is where you sit down with someone at a computer terminal and they tell you what jobs are available. Here is where you tell them what you want, ask any questions about bonus money, etc. You should have already done your homework to find out what job you want and what bonus $$ should be available. If so, here you are basically just confirming what you already know and making sure that the job you want is available in a timeframe that works for you. Every job in the Army is available at one time or another - you just might have to wait a while before your specific job has an opening.

Good luck - and ask as many questions as you want. Someone here will have answers.

13. fourty03

Wow...

Thanks for explaining it to me... I'd rather hear it from someone who's
    been through it already - other than the Recruiter himself... He really didnt
    get into the process

Im thinking maybe he assumed I knew because of the questions back and
    forth between the two of us...
    I've been reading in here for about 7 months and searching for my answers
    online before I went to the recruiter's office.

Again, thanks - if I have anymore questions, I'll definitely ask.

14. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Before you actually go to MEPS your recruiter should give you a little pep talk. At least that's how it was with me. First the recruiter gave me a little pep talk, and then I sat down with NC1 in his office and he gave me a thorough run down on the whole process the day before I went.

15. teabagn

teabagn New Member

:rofl:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009