Microsoft you are RUINING MY LIFE

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

My mom's Macbook Pro got something heavy dropped on it and the screen cracked. A replacement was going to be $900. I planned on getting her a refurbed Macbook for $850 for Xmas, but she went out and bought a Vista Toshiba. Its not a bad computer, its like a plastic macbook pro and I prefer the keyboard to an apple.

But... ever since we got her the Apple, I have never had to fix her computer, and I've never gotten a support call. For real. It just works.

Now we're back to the twice a day, "I can't make the computer do this!" calls. She's having AIM trouble. She has email trouble. She has Flash trouble. She doesn't know what to install or not install. She gets lost between Firefox and Vista. She can't find her downloads.

On and on. It costs me billable time to help her. And it drives me fucking crazy. I'm going to end up having to buy her a macbook just to recoup my billable time. It will literally pay for itself.

Say what you want about Apple vs. Windows... for computer retarded moms... Microsoft costs a ton of fucking time/money.

Just... god damn. I hate trying to explain shit to people on the phone about PCs. Drives me crazy.

2. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

it's all what you're used to.

3. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

yeah dude if she went the other way around shed be just as lost

4. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

your stretched out location is ruining my life

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Actually, no. She had no trouble transitioning to OS X from XP. There were no support calls. She just 'got it.'

Computer retards 'just get' OS X.

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Because it gives them no options... "The cow says.... Mooo"... hey look at that I just got multimedia working awesome this mac is so easy...

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

and for a huge percentage of computer users, that is perfect.

i want to do X. oh, here is how i do X. perfect.

i want to do X. ok, so i can do Y, Z and a little #@$%... but how the fuck do i do X?

8. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Technological advancement and the intelligence of our collective society always benefit from catering to the lowest common denominator...

oh wait...

9. zanyspy_dude

That's kind of surprising. I started working at a place with mac boxes and I nearly cried the day we picked up some boxes and they let us put ubuntu on them.

I can not live life without a task bar.

10. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i find that people my age have a mac and seem to know everything with the mac, they can troubleshoot very well.

older people who have a mac are decent at using the computer, seem to have less problems...however when something happens with the mac, it is hell trying to troubleshoot with them over the phone

now, windows is another story. i had a guy today who wasn't grabbing an ip address from his modem. i'm sitting there in edgehealth, watching his modem after i rebooted it - nothing was showing up. i have him verify his connections, everything is good. it wasn't until we went to ncpa.cpl (network connections shortcut) and double clicked on the LAN connection and then chose his location as "home" - then the computer grabbed an ip address. wtf vista?

11. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yeah, MS (and others) have a way of simplifying a simple process by over-complicating it.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you weren't a lowest common denominator user yourself, you would be using a FOSS operating system where you cared about having, and hacking the sourcecode to the software you use.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Can you outline any useful (hell, any at all?) options that Vista gives that OS X doesn't?

14. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Just be glad she didn't get a cheap computer with Linux.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Actually, I set her up with an Ubuntu box once and it went pretty ok. I had to spend a few hours setting up Firefox and AIM. The main thing was that she couldn't run malware. She runs e-cards and stuff her friends send her that pwn her machine.

Dunno that it would work out with her digital camera and stuff now though.

16. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

LOL yeah dude my dad got a computer with vista on it and couldnt get it to connection to the internet. I'm really good with computers and I had no clue what to do. I had to end up looking online for help. Very very confusing compared to XP with little benefit.

17. zanyspy_dude

I like the fact that it asks my mom before she deletes her megahurtz and calls me first. That's a nice benefit of vista. Also the VMC is way nicer than xp's MCE

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Teach her how to use the computer instead of just handing her the answer she needs. If she rolls her eyes and doesn't want to listen, refuse to give her the easy way out.

See above. Is she actually having trouble with these apps, or does she just not know that she needs to install them?

And also, if she can't bother to pay attention to where she saves shit, then she can use Windows Search 4.0 to find shit for her. This is not an excuse.

Oh come on, you were just masturbating anyway. You're just pissed that she called right before you came and you had to clench it down at the last second.

My mother is, in all likelihood, about the same age as your mother. My mother is an artist; she paints for a living, so to speak. If I can explain to her (and also to my best friend's crazy, ex-drug-addict mom) how to actually use a computer, as in the mode of thought required to use a computer properly, then you can do it too. Either that or you suck at explaining things.

Then again, I do write user manuals for a living.

19. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i doubt it. aren't you like 12 years old and isn't peyomp 45?

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

:rofl:

21. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

This is why Macs are perfect for people who do absolutely nothing on the computer. Anything more complex than e-mail, and you might as well get linux or windows.

22. CodeX

CodeX Guest

That makes no sense... So because I happen to like playing games in my downtime and the ONLY choice for playing games is windows I am lowest common denominator?

Also... I don't know what you think an OS is but at this point in the game it isn't something you can dig right into and "hack"... it takes teams of hundreds of developers years to make the operating systems we have today... maybe if this was way back in the early 80's (aka your hayday) a single person in his free time could effect a worthwhile change by "hacking" his operating system, but not anymore. Its the same thing in auto mechanics, back in the 60s any idiot with a wrench could do just about anything to his car... try that shit now and the ECM will flip out at you and you'll end up throwing all kinds of codes and probably running the car in some sort of safe mode.

Besides, I modify windows to the point that it is unrecognizable without messing with the code. Like I have posted many many many times before in here I have uptimes in the range of 6 months on my daily use xp gaming machine, and when I do restart it it is usually to upgrade hardware or due to power outages beyond my control.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2008
  23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Care to explain how a great UI inhibits any single activity you would carry out in Linux or Windows?

24. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Not discussing anything, all I will say is compatibility.

25. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

god, these are the stupidest conversations. Windows, Linux and OSX all have their pros and their cons. for whatever reason, people love to think that they're the smartest ones making the best decisions and everyone who disagrees is an idiot. OSX is great, easy to use and perfect for inexperienced users. It is also the most limiting and relies on expensive hardware. Windows is less easy to use, but has more compatibility and can be run on cheaper hardware including the ability of building your own. Linux is the hardest to deal with, but the most flexible and the cheapest. There. That's it.