Microsoft VPC is pretty cool

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jkuao, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

XP Pro, Fedora 3, and W2k3 Server all running concurrently on the same box. :)
    [​IMG]

Makes development for different platforms so much easier. A bit heavy on the computer usage but nothing too bad as long as I don't run too many at the same time. I am having some issues with the Linux kernel disagreeing right now but I'll sort it out soon enough.

It doesn't take the place of my real linux box or my server but at least I don't risk damaging one while testing something.

2. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Thats cool.

Why VPC instead of VMware?

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Nice! I use VPC all the time (I get it free, making it somewhat cheaper than VMWare) for testing and software packaging. I have a gig of RAM on my laptop and can run 3 VMs without much trouble. Being able to drag/drop from the host to/from the guest OS is very nice (I don't think VMWare can do that, could be wrong though).

4. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Ditto on the drag and drop.

I'm spoiled in that I get to play with VMWare all the time. My company uses it on all the classroom machines.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Someone told me it did not. Eh, oh well. For the price (free) I still like VPC!

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I just realized I get a free copy too through MSDN.

I'm gonna try it out with Ubunut today. :coold:

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Don't you just love those?

8. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

MSDN. That and its what we use at my office. Developing for systems that can date back 20 years means having to keep a lot of legacy stuff around.

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

VPC on Mac is even more amazing. You'd never know it was emulating a chipset.

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

The sloooooow performance is a good hint.

11. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

How bad is it? I was considering a 12" Powerbook w/ 1gb of RAM to replace my beast of a notebook (xp2400+ and 6.5lb).

Compiling the software I work with already takes 3+ hours on a 3Ghz P4 workstation w/ 1GB of DDR2 under the Virtual PC. The machines really need at least 2GB but they've got one standard workstation corporation wide to save cash so we even get stiffed on the hd space.

12. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I have a friend the VPC on a couple of Macs. One is about a 900Mhz 12" PB with maybe 768MB and the other is about a 1.1Ghz 17" iMac with about the same RAM. He complained that this program he uses was very slow. I said that was funny because I run VPC on my P4-1.8 (hardly a screamer today) and it was a little slow, but not too bad. On the PB, he runs some program that used the CD a lot. It was horribly slow. It felt like a 486 with a 2x CD-ROM. I made an ISO of his CD, uploaded it to the Mac hard disk, mounted it under VPC. That helped a little but it was still slow. Just simple stuff like nagivating around Windows was slow as hell. I played with VPC on his iMac and it wasn't much better.