Microsoft Virtual PC...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rumperpumper, Jul 3, 2005.

1. rumperpumper

rumperpumper New Member

Has any one had some extensive use of thsi App?

I need some tweaking help for mine as i cant understand why it is running so slow!

Specs can be provided of the desktop if needed!

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I've run VPC quite a bit. Disk access is pretty slow so loading the OS and rebooting is slow. But once its up and running, its not too bad. The host PC is a P4-1.8 with 1GB of RAM. I usually allocate 256MB to a WinXP VPC. Did you install the VPC extensions to the virtual machine?

3. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

I noticed significant erosion of performance with Hyperthreading being enabled on my personal machine vs. being disabled on my work machine. This is running on virtually identical machines too: Dell Precision 370 w/ 530 1GB DDR2 and my personal machine is a Dell Dimension 4700 530 w/ 1.5GB DDR2. From what I've read, VPC is single process so HT will end up about the same performance as a 1.5Ghz proc.

The subsystems are a bit different though...most of my VPC's are run through 160GB Samsung 2MB external at work and on my personal machine it's being run through a UltraATA PCI card for a 120GB 8MB Barracuda (No extra EIDE ports since its mostly SATA). Even with the external drive, I can run 3 VPC's w/ ~200MB RAM each with reasonable performance at work while my personal machine has to chug to get through 1 even with all the extra RAM...this is about the same speed that I got with my XP2400+ notebook w/ 512MB RAM through the external drive.

And like mdaniel said, the extensions will help performance a lot if HT isn't the problem.