Microsoft stopping support for win98

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Apex, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Apex

Apex My Island In The Sun

I keep hearing that starting Jan. of 04 microsoft will no longer be supporting win98, no more patches and etc. Does anyone have a link from microsoft's site to show this? Does anyone know if microsoft will still be making patches and updates for nt4?

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;w98

In accordance with the Microsoft Product Support Lifecycle, no-charge support for Windows 98 ended on July 1, 2003. Paid-only support will continue to be available from Microsoft at $35 per incident. Support will also be available from some third party providers.

Microsoft will also continue to offer a variety of self-help resources on the Product Support Services Web site until at least January 16, 2006, two years after phone support for Windows 98 ends on January 16, 2004. These resources include the Microsoft Knowledge Base and Newsgroups.

edit: and the rest ...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin

3. Apex

Apex My Island In The Sun

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Tell them to upgrade. They're 2 versions and quite a few years behind.

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Maybe they can't. Maybe the software they are using is dead and/or only works on NT4. But it works perfectly fine so they don't need to upgrade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Apex, what you need to compare are the support/maintanence costs of your NT4 environment vs. the upgrade/support/maintanence costs for whatever new environment.

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Hence the the statement: "what you need to compare are the support/maintanence costs of your NT4 environment vs. the upgrade/support/maintanence costs for whatever new environment."

Need I repeat myself again?

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

How many NT servers are open to the net though? 99% of the security holes are attacks from the internet - if the servers are behind the firewall, the security updates shouldn't be necessary except to protect your company from internal problems (which at least you can track and can a person for).

9. carlin

carlin Guest

Upgrading in not always a solution though... We have a NT4 server, that uses a SNA server to connect the city systems...

But SNA server isn't supported on Win2k+, only Host Intergration Servers is, which the city systems don't support... so we are stuck with the NT4 system for now...