Microsoft Product Activation? Need help..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ProdigyDub, Sep 9, 2003.

1. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub The greatest trick the devil ever pulled

*posted this on main OT forum before I realized this one was here*..

I'm currently running Windows XP Pro and Office XP Pro software from my schools campus computer store. I've installed both and activated both of them already.

However, I want to format my hard drive completely, and start fresh with a new install from that XP Pro CD (and then Office later on).

My question is..given the fact that I have already activated the products, will I be able to activate them again after a fresh install? It will be on the exact same computer, which is fully in compliance with the EULA for this software..I'm just worried that the fact that I have already activated it may mean they (Microsoft) have my CD keys or something on file already and wont let them be activated again? Or do they store some sort of hardware authentication as well? So that as long as you're on the same computer, you can install these products over and over?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

2. MP

MP New Member

You won't have a problem. I've installed xp pro about 20 times on my computer.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

If it's corporate edition, you won't have a problem. If they require you to activate again, simply call Microsoft and tell them that you reformatted and need to reinstall. They'll give you a new ID.

..this is assuming.. mind you.. that the activation key is legit as well as the OS and software copies..

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Microsoft's DRM for both ebooks and software activation are based on a mix of hardware identifiers. Last I remember, they were up to about 11 hardware identifiers (I'm guessing manufacture serial/ID from CPU, hard/floppy/CD drive(s), BIOS, etc). There's a combination of those that are allowed to change a little more often (like the hard drive(s) IDs). I think its up to 4 or 5 immediate changes will trigger the installer to have you contact MS for activation. There is also a time period to how many times you can activate the same copy (with PocketPCs, it was something like 4 times for MS Reader within a certain span - like 6 months - but you could request new activations via the web which sometimes worked. I don't know if they allow XP users to do this though).

Their ebook DRM was hacked last Christmas and it took them over 6 months to roll out a new scheme. A lot of the above is my knowledge of ebook DRM which was based off their software activation. Its not clear what changed after 6 months other than the algorithm(s) they're using...

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:cool: thread... I activated Access at work this summer and I was kinda wondering what happens if you need to switch it to another computer or do a reinstall.

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

With windows, it usually works online right away for reactivations, but for office, you usually need to call in for it. It's a quick easy process that takes 3 or 4 minutes, you read them 42 numbers, and they read you 42 back and you type them in and it's all done. They may ask you why you're reactivating, but that's it.

7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

My Laptop's HDD went dead and the system restore disks don't work, and HP wants me to buy new ones.
    So can I just buy a copy of windows to use on my next project PC and just use the original oem cd key?

8. ins0mniiac

ins0mniiac Extremely Large Gold Member OT Supporter

When you buy the copy of windows it should already come with a cd key. The OEM cd key that you find with your laptop works with the cds that HP gave you when you bought your laptop. Probably wont work with the new Cds you buy.

9. Zourn

Crap, I don't want to shell out another $120 when i build my HTPC. I'll have to call MS and bitch at them for awhile and see if I can get this fixed.

10. Zourn

Cool, it let me activeate Windows with my old pre-installed CD key. Just like it should.