Microsoft Office X and Microsoft Office for windows compatibility

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P7, Apr 24, 2005.

1. P7

P7 You have something on your tongue, let me get that

I am planning on getting a powerbook for school, but I'm going to keep a nicely built PC at the apartment. The only thing is I would need all of the work I do on one to be transferrable to the other. Will I have any problems?

2. Icedog

Icedog New Member

I haven't had a single problem going from my home computer (Powerbook) to school (windows) I use Word often and Excel every now and then and no problems have been noted. Perhaps someone that uses the programs more in depth could help you out more though :dunno:

3. asiandoood

asiandoood New Member

from personal experience...cross platforming wise....

anything done on the mac going to pc will usually cause no problems. anything going from pc to the mac will.

also..the mac will read most other PC files with no problem...cant say the same vice versa

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

the only problems i've ever encountered is moving a powerpoint presentation from the mac to a pc that doens't have the same slide transitions. the ones I haven't aren't all on the pc version.

5. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

I use Excel, Word, and PowerPoint extensively (I put equations in Word documents, use special symbols, etc. I do lots of equations and PivotTables and charts in Excel, etc.).

I have really yet to have a major problem. I'm working mostly with Office 2K4 on the Mac and Office 2K3 on the PC. I hate PowerPoint transitions and really never use anything other than the "appear"-like options and never sound effects, so I can't speak as to problems with PP transitions. But I can tell you that I frequently move PP presentations with custom backgrounds and embedded fonts back and forth and I have no problem there.

Word and Excel have never presented any problems at all.

Hope that's helpful. I'm sure some quirky behavior exists, but I haven't seen it.

6. P7

P7 You have something on your tongue, let me get that

Sweet, thanks for the info guys.