Microsoft Office 2008 due Jan 15th

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SLED, Jan 2, 2008.

1. SLED

SLED custom title

2. bovine

bovine New Member

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

08 kept crashing on me so i went back to 04

4. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

i would open mine and it would bring up the loading screen and then just "unexpectedly quit"
    :hsugh:

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Haven't used '08 yet but I'm sure we'll be upgrading to it once released.

6. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

Been using 08 for months and really liek it :dunno:

7. chupacabra

chupacabra OT Supporter

:werd:

8. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

ive just stuck with iwork

9. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Thank goodness.

It's really difficult being an engineering student and not having a stable computer to use Excel on.

10. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

No gracias.

11. bovine

bovine New Member

It still won't do most of the cool stuff that Excel 2007 will do. And if it does, it will do it MUCH slower. :hs:

12. fuzion1029

fuzion1029 New Member

Any idea what it won't do? And why would it be slower? Isn't one of the biggest fixes for '08 that it won't have to run using Rosetta? I've never found anything that '04 wouldn't do in excel. In fact I much prefer to use '04 on my mac than '03 on a windows machine.

Is 08 anything like 07 for windows? Cus i really hate that steaming pile of poo.

13. bovine

bovine New Member

It would choke on 4,000 element scatterplots that a virtualized instance of '07 would run fine on. I don't have it installed so I can't check right now, but I recall it missing quite a lot of the advance data analysis features like fast fourier transforms and other miscellany. In addition Excel '08 doesn't support any VB macros.

It's just a much less robust package than Excel for Windows. If you don't know what any of the things I just mentioned are and you don't use spreadsheets with several thousand data points then I'm sure Excel for Mac is great for you. Otherwise it's rubbish that runs slower than a virtualized OS and with less features.

edit: I guess my problem with Mac Office is that every time I get a spreadsheet from a professor, Excel will either run unacceptably slow, it will flat out be incompatible with the spreadsheet for some reason or I will be unable to perform some required analysis on the data because my version of Excel doesn't have the feature I'm looking for. I just got sick of it and installed Windows (for Office and Visual Studio only). :hs:

And I think we must have different opinions of what an office suite should do because I think '07 is the best Office product to ever be released.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  14. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

iwork FTW!

15. fuzion1029

fuzion1029 New Member

I do know that it starts choking pretty hard with any large plots or multiple plots. Same thing with Word when it has multiple excel plots in it.

As for the advanced features and doing things with 4000 data points or more, that's what MATLAB is for. And MATLAB is far better when you need to do something multiple times. It's real easy to just make a for or while loop and have it do whatever you need it to do. To me, if you're doing hardcore data analysis, then you should be using MATLAB. If you're just trying to organize some data and make some pretty plots, then Excel is good for that.

On a side note I just remembered one of my pet peeves about Excel: Fucking Shadows on the data points in plots. They just make it look shitty and harder to read. Anybody know if there is a way to make those be off by default? I've searched and searched for that option and couldn't find anything.

Office '07 pisses me off for several reasons:
    1) Probably the biggest one, .docx file format. Another move by microsoft to make shit proprietary so nobody can use anything but their programs, all the while, they won't even work on older versions. Sure they threw a free converter patch out there, but it doesn't work for shit.

2) I don't like the menus on it. It seems like they tried dumbing shit down way too much, and now it's just harder to find stuff. I'm sure I could get used to it, but i don't want to.

3) I haven't seen any real improvements over '03. It looks "prettier." But I'm pretty sure it has all of the same quircks that make me want to :rl: the computer.