Microsoft is Dead

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Create, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Create

Create :free at last:

http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html

Of course, counterpoints:
    From a well organized couter: http://dondodge.typepad.com/the_next_big_thing/2007/04/since_when_does.html

From a snother good one: http://ricksegal.typepad.com/pmv/2007/04/the_dword_almos.html

My contribution to follow.

2. Create

I have linux & openoffice setup here at home and use a a spattering of other multi-platform/open source software

I work in a run-of-the-mill small company. Dealing with the overhead of some sort of 'conversion' every time I have to interface with someone on a different standard is totally impractical. You may say OpenOffice is seamless, but those rather obvious actions you and I take are 100 foot walls to the majority of users. Being in business forces you into the Win/Office suite.

I also play a few games, forcing me to run XP at home.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

MS will change with the times. I also sometimes worry about the longevity of open source projects in our capitalist society

4. Create

You think their buckshot approach is going to pan out, then?

5. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Is this thread an oxymoron? You said Microsoft is dead then show quotes and your own experience to show how they dominate.

Am I missing something?

6. Create

Yes, you're missing a contribution for or against the points presented in the first link.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

MS has always been a leader not a follower. I'm not sure how that pertains to the "buckshot" approach.

8. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

It's probably true that MS can't reign over the software industry forever, but you can't really compare them to IBM back in the day. Sure, IBM coined the phrase "PC", but at the time computers were MUCH less prevelant than today. MS owns such a huge marketshare currently that even if a better product for the home and business worlds were to come out tomorrow (PS: Linux is cool, but it isn't the answer at the moment), switching to it would be extremely cost-prohibitive to all but new start-ups. Love them or hate them, MS is here for a while.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

Beta vs. VHS for example. Beta has always been the better standard and was used in the news industry before they switched to digital. Commodore Amiga - uber system in its day.

It's not about the better product, it's about the better marketing.