Microsoft Confirms Windows Vista Pricing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Sep 7, 2006.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2163644/microsoft-confirms-vista

Microsoft has confirmed how much Windows Vista will cost when it hits the shops early next year.

The top-of-the-range Windows Vista Ultimate Edition will sell for $399 in the US, with upgrades available for $259.

Home Premium will retail for $239 for the full package and $159 for the upgrade. Home Basic, with less functionality, will cost $199 with upgrades available for $100.

Corporate editions will start at $299 for the full version of Business Edition, with upgrades costing $199. Enterprise edition will only be offered to Microsoft Volume Licence customers and will not be available for retail purchase.

The official Vista prices tally with those revealed last month on Amazon, which listed Ultimate Edition at $399 and Home Premium at $239. Upgrades for Ultimate and Home Premium were set at $259 and $159 respectively.
    Microsoft is intending to release more than six versions of Windows Vista: one for developing markets, two business systems, three for the home and some EU-specific packages which have Media Player removed.

Most of the options will be available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

2. PFC Lowell

PFC Lowell Velox et Mortifer

Not like I care... considering windows is free :eek5:

3. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I read today where there are networking issues with between Vista and XP. It isn't like it surprises me. It's only in Beta 2 and has security updates already.

4. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

wow.

I would be more surprised if a program in beta had NO security updates. That's kind of the point of beta testing something... to find errors and fix them. Would be silly to drop a new RC every time you fixed a bug, updates solves the issue instead.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

aparently, it doesn't sound like it should even be called an RC yet. But i'm sure MS will release it anyways....

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakin...tml?articleId=192501746&printableArticle=true

6. tony

tony Guest

:eek4: :eek4: i could buy a computer for that much :hs:

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah, a shitty one.

It says Ultimate is $399. I'm sure that's full retail. XP Pro full retail is $299 so that's $100 more for the top of the line version. OEM versions usually run about 1/2 that. Home Basic looks to be the same price as XP Home.

Has anyone seen a feature matrix that shows that each version's capabilities are and what MS sees as you upgrade path? Like if I've gone from NT 4.0 Workstation to 2000 Pro to XP Pro, what's the corresponding Vista?

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

And you know what sucks, is that Vista isn't really going to have anything worth paying $400 for. Except maybe full GPU-powered visual scaling. That sure isn't worth $400 to get, though.

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will figure out how to hack XP and install Vista's graphics engine in it. That would be optimal.

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

That $500 TechNet subscription with time-unlimited "evaluation" versions of practically everything MS makes is looking pretty good now.

10. deusexaethera

Big-brand software does seem to be moving in the direction of subscription service. What's the restriction on the TechNet "evaluation" editions of MS software? There has to be something.

11. Schproda

Schproda New Member

You can only use it for testing purposes I believe. I haven't read the whole license agreement. I have a MSDN account and get CDs monthly for my job.

There are Vista skins out. I installed Vista in VMware. It is a newer looking GUI. Some things are not going to be easy for the normal user. Other things from a tech standpoint are going to require a few more clicks to get to. And the Media Center thing...it just looks better from what I can tell, probably not a lot more to add..

12. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I don't know. It used to be that everything was 120 or 180 day limited but now there's no limit. Their web site explains that pretty clearly. I don't know what gotchas there might be other than a technical license violation if I install the software on production machines instead of on test lab machines.

13. deusexaethera

As if they could tell. :rolleyes:

14. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Exactly. And since I'm not rich enough to have a test lab at my disposal, I evaluate a lot of stuff by simply using it daily on my personal machine. Besides, they should want people like me to use their software because if its good, I'll recommend it to others. I also need to have working copies on hand to troubleshoot problems and work out ways of doing things on my own time.

15. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Software Assurance FTMFW

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Thank god I'll never, ever, have to pay Redmond a fucking dime because I'm not an idiot and I don't use proprietary, closed systems. :)

17. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Aren't you an OS X user?

18. deusexaethera

(braces for pwnage)

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I am. Which means the OS comes with the hardware and I never have to pay for it, and I am free to use whatever open systems to develop software that I want ;)

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I am. Which means the OS comes with the hardware and I never have to pay for it, and I am free to use whatever open systems to develop software that I want ;) I use the very open BSD and GNU tools all day long and they're completely free.

21. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

That's one of the things I dislike most in OS X. Well, coming with hardware is one thing (Windows does that too), but running a check to ensure the OS only runs on computers from any one manufacturer, is shitty.
    Well you pay for it with the hardware, and when you buy/upgrade to new releases.

Apple would've had quite a few major releases since Windows XP was released. If you upgraded to each release as it was released there would be quite a hole in your pocket - bigger than $399? (probably, but I don't know the exact figures)
    Well you can do that on any OS, but it's cool that Apple ships these tools.

Even though OS X would have a lot of changes to BSD-licensed code (since it's based on FreeBSD) that Apple don't release, it's still cool. The developers of the BSD-licensed code have no right to be pissed off about it, since they chose that license over the likes of the by-no-means-unknown GNU GPL.

(I really shouldn't say "cool" because I'm pretty sure Apple are just doing what they think benifits them most as a company)

OS X is still quite the proprietary, closed system. It's not as bad as Windows (look at Safari and then look at IE), but it just cannot compete with the likes of Ubuntu on this metric.

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

OS X is proprietary, but since it uses BSD/GNU tools, it is open, not closed. And since there's no reason to upgrade repeatedly, why should I?

Ubuntu is swell, but for a workstation its nowhere close to OS X. So far, it seems that a system must be proprietary to get the degree of polish I want in an operating system.

We actually deploy on Gentoo/Solaris.

23. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Right (if that's what you mean by open/closed), but Apple don't get that much respect from me for choosing those tools. It was for their own beneit as a company that they chose them.
    You don't?, that's good.

Apple will try their best to get people like you to upgrade though - like by introducing new APIs only for 10.5. "Core Animation", apps that make use of it won't run in 10.4 (to my knowledge), so if you wanna run them you gotta get 10.5. I'd love to know how easy/hard it would be to port CA to 10.4. It could well be a simple recompile, unless things since 10.4 have really changed.

24. deusexaethera

25. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Says the person who's never used Ubuntu :noes:
    Fine. But it seems the free software development model is working for your web-browser and your toolchain, and the free software (FreeBSD) that OS X was based on. One day, maybe, one day...