Microsoft Briefcase

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jul 26, 2005.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I have an mp3 player that doesn't use any library-management software, and I'm trying to come up with a way to automatically synchronise my music on my computer and player. Briefcase seemed like a decent way to do it; it takes all the files in the Briefcase and syncs the newest files in each location over-top of the older files in each location. I think.

Anyway, I can't make it work. I copied the Briefcase folder from my computer to my player, and then when I told it to "Update All", I got a message saying the files in each location (despite having been copied not five minutes prior) were orphans and not synchronisable.

Does anyone here have any experience with Briefcase, or can anyone recommend some simple, free file-sync software that doesn't come with bonus popup ads?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

3. deusexaethera

What is xcopy and where do I get it?

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

google

5. deusexaethera

Doh. I just did and found out it's a friggin MSDOS command. Looks like it'll do what I need. Wish I'd looked that up earler. Batch files, here I come!

6. deusexaethera

Now if only I could figure out a command to delete any destination files for which there is no source file anymore, as in automatically erasing music and folders from the player that I've deleted from my computer.

7. deusexaethera

It's not working. Here's the command line I came up with:

@ xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Deus Ex Aethera\My Documents\My Music\Music\*.*" "E:\Music" /D /S /W /L /U

Here's the source I used for information:

http://www.computerhope.com/xcopyhlp.htm

I know both the source and destination currently exist and that I didn't misspell them. I also know the tags on the end of the command line are valid. And yet, even when I add files to the source for the specific purpose of testing the xcopy command, it reports that zero files will be copied. What am I doing wrong here?

8. 5Gen_Prelude

9. deusexaethera

"/U" is supposed to make the command overwrite older files with newer ones. What is your reason for telling me to take it out?

You did mean to take it out, right? It's kinda hard to tell without any explanation whatsoever.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

You could run a batchfile to delete the files as well, just use a for loop to go thru the e drives contents, check if that file exists on the c drive and if not, delete it.