Microsoft bluetooth mouse w/ os x?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by turbo91, May 9, 2005.

1. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

I just bought one but I can't get Mac OS X to recognize the bluetooth adapter. When I plug it in, a keyboard assistant pops up to help me find the bluetooth keyboard that I don't own--but the Bluetooth Assitant is missing from the App/Utilities folder, and System Preferences says that the bluetooth mouse preferences are hidden because no hardware was found.

I've been reading on the internet that people have used this package with their Macs... anyone know what I have to do to get the dongle working?

2. rpark

rpark New Member

MS bluetooth is not compatible with OS X. I don't think any windows bluetooth is compatible just yet.

3. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

:hsugh: bluetooth is bluetooth. I'm asking whether the bluetooth dongle supplied by Microsoft works with Mac OS X... my experience is telling me no.

4. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Take the mouse back. I have a M$ Bluetooth combo for my desktop and I hate the things. They're not all that reliable, chew through batteries and take way too long to "wake" when first used. The batteries in the mouse usually last me about a week, assuming moderate use (when gaming, I've gone through a pair of batteries in my mouse in a matter of hours before). When you haven't been on the computer for a while, say half hour or more, it takes a good 15 seconds or so of moving the mouse before it responds on screen, and the keyboard is similar. The Logitech MX700 I bought for my PB is so much better a mouse.

5. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

But it works with your mac? Are you using the supplied dongle?

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

bluetooth mouse is pointless if you're using a bluetooth adapter anyhow. the only time i'd use a bluetooth mouse over the other wireless mice is with a powerbook that has built in bluetooth.

they're too hard on batteries and the lag to connect when you wake it up are the biggest downers in my book, with no real advantages other than if you have built-in bluetooth and the only advantage there is just that you don't have to connect anything external. my standard USB wireless mice (i'm up to four now) all last several days and usual several weeks between battery changes even with daily use. they also wake up instantly.