Microsoft Blaster Worm Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PuckHead, Aug 31, 2003.

1. PuckHead

PuckHead New Member

Just bought a new laptop, and they were really pushing letting them do the windows updates on their system (for a fee, like $50). They said that as soon as I hook in to the internet, I will get the virus Before I can even update XP. Is this true? If so, can I use a secure network at work to update? I don't know what kind of security there would need to be for the virus not to get through.

btw, I have Norton Corporate 8.0 already installed, but of course the definitions haven't been updated yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I don't have much of a clue, my desktop has auto updates adn is running 2000, not XP.

Thanks again.

2. Nocera

Nocera ...

Who the fuck did you buy from?!?! Report them to the Better Business Bureau. Hook it up and do the updates yourself. You're fine.

3. PuckHead

PuckHead New Member

I bought it from Best Buy, that's why I am a little nervous. This guy was telling everyone that came in the same thing. And I know for a fact they are not on commission, so I can't figure why he would lie to up sell.

4. Nocera

Nocera ...

Unless they're told to say that by management. But anyway, no, there's nothing to worry about. You won't be immediately attacked once you connect to the internet. I can't believe they said that...

5. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I had several people come to my store and bring back computers because they got the Blaster worm from Windows Registration. Too bad our cashiers are all dumbshits at Officemax, they actually returned them and thought we got a bad batch of machines.

EDIT: You should be fine now, no need to worry about it anymore. But in Response to Nocera, it WAS a valid threat, but shouldn't have been a $50 charge. Hell at Officemax we were giving out free floppies with the patch on it to anyone who asked, even if they didn't buy their computers here

6. PuckHead

PuckHead New Member

that's good to know. I posted on OT too, and started quite the argument, I can't believe there isn't more definitive info out there on the net. I have been looking since last night, and can't find anything except "patch and you'll be fine".

Thanks for all the help, I was told that XP's firewall will block it, so I will try that and go.

7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

If you want definative info on any virus, go to www.symantec.com click search, then type a part of the virus name in the search. They always have great info on virii and tools to remove them. So if you by chance happen to acquire this all is not lost, the Blaster worm is not harmful to your computer, just annoying.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You guys are feeding him some bad information. There is very much a threat of being infected whilst in the process of downloading SP's and hotfixes. I can tell you that if you hook your computer up to a public IP without patching first, all sorts of things can get in. I'm not saying you will, but it is possible. How do I know? Because I've done it. It took all of 2 hours because I got busy with something else and bam! someone had installed something on it. Now in my case it was a W2K server that by default installs IIS :uh:. One too many things on the go and I got hit.

So there you go - make sure you're not on a public IP and you'll be fine for sure.

9. futz

futz Guest

10. PuckHead

PuckHead New Member

Thanks a lot guys, I enabled the firewall, and downloaded the patches, then I ran a Norton update and scan, and I seem to be okay. Thanks for all the help.

11. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

5Gen is right. You may not get Blaster right now, but I turned on an older (hadn't been updated in awhile) XP machine the day it was going around and got it within 5 mins of being on. We were getting hundreds of requests on the port it used (135 if I remember correctly) from School of Business machines that had been infected. Thankfully our network is managed much better than theirs. We only had 2 cases of Blaster out of about 100 machines we monitor. :big grin: