Microsoft Avalanche to rival BitTorrent

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrMan, Jun 18, 2005.

1. MrMan

MrMan New Member

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

ill be one of the first to say it wont work

3. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Maybe, although it's already in beta testing. Quote from second link posted.

"[font=verdana, arial, geneva, sans-serif][size=-1]Microsoft has developed a prototype of Avalanche and is testing it by using it to distribute software applications to several thousand of its software beta testers, according to a research engineer demonstrating the software in Cambridge. The company has distributed a 4G-byte application in as little as a day, down from about two weeks when it sends a program directly, he said."[/size][/font]

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Sorry, when I see the word "magically" used to describe how software works, it loses all credulity.

5. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

So is it being made to distribute things like software updates, or software in general, or is it going to work with bit torrent files?

Is it a brand new P2P section that will just rival bit torrent as far as speed/security goes? And why would anyone want to use a P2P program made by the computer that tries as hard as possible to make it impossible for you to steal software/movies/music, etc.

6. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Where was the word magically used? If anything, it's for marketing purposes. Also, if you read the whitepapers behind it, you'd understand that it's not so magical.

I'm not sure what they plan on using it for. I guess they don't want to overload their servers and save bandwidth. I would think they will implement it in a way such that people using IIS servers and IE users would connect p2p, rather than server-client. I am not sure if it will use bittorrent files. I don't think this is their way of promoting piracy. It's more of the idea of peer to peer networking that is in their interest. IE is used for browsing, some people use it to download illegal files off web servers. Some people host illegal files on IIS servers... and so on. These are things out of their intended use. I believe their intention is to lessen bandwidth and increase download speed. The notoriety of Napster (most popular use of p2p technology) gave the technology a bad name... but that does not necessarily make the technology itself bad. If you watch the show "Tactical to Practical"... it shows military technology (some for destruction), used for practical purposes.

7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Your first link, second image down, first bullet under Avalanche.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sounds more of Microsofts version of the STEAM distributions system... At least more so than BitTorrent.

9. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

If it ever sees the light of day from Microsoft, it will probably be used in the realm of Windows Updates or for downloads from Microsoft.com. I certainly wouldn't expect a standalone product considering its usage wouldn't be in legal form.