Microsoft Access Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zaink, Feb 22, 2005.

1. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

ok so i have this document that someone at work send me and they requested that in the object form, that they have some drop down boxes to choose the company and email and all that stuff, so i did it...

now she wants me to change that so where when she picks the company it auto-fills out the phone number fax address and all that stuff:squint: .. can anyone help me on how to do this? im confused :x:

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Standard Customer/Order example

You base the form on the order table, but link the CustomerID in the Order table to the customerID in the Customer Table within the base query that the form is based on. When the data in the drop down box changes, all of the other fields (ie phone number...) change on the form at the same time.

In other words, the form must be based on a query that joins the Order table with the Customer table for it to work.

3. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

hm im kind of lost on what you said.. let me try to give more detail on the file, all the information i need is in a table called 'Contacts'... she has no queries that are helpful ... and im trying to do this drop down box/auto fill in after selected in a form called 'Incoming Ad Request'

4. poisonivvy

poisonivvy New Member

You should make a new query. This query should have everything you need, called Incoming Ad Request--phone numbers, customer ids, address, etc. When you have this new query, you can use the lookup fields/auto fills to link the two together and use this to make the form. Otherwise you need to go back in to tables and establish relationships and make sure that everything is linked together.

5. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

im sorry for all these questions lol, but where do i do this lookup field/ auto fills? in the query on in the form? im so confused, but i want to learn

btw, i already have a form, i just need to edit it :wtc:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  6. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

small sample could help.. doesnt have to be much :big grin:

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Try opening up the Northwinds database and looking at how they did it with their customer/order form. It's basically one form based on a query. When you select the contact person in the dropdown box, all of the address info gets automatically populated.

8. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

dont have it :( guess i have to search for it

9. 5Gen_Prelude

It comes with access - might still be on the installation CD

10. poisonivvy

poisonivvy New Member

11. poisonivvy

poisonivvy New Member

I would recommend chapter 3 + 4 ppt slides. Go into Chapter 4, slides 19-24.

When I get home, I will post some more. Good luck. :hs:

12. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

well for anyone that wants to try and give it a shot, here is the file. the only thing i need for it to be done is in the form 'Incoming Ad Requests', i want it so where that when i click on organization a drop down box will come and i will be able to select the companies from the table 'Contacts', once i select it i would like it to automatically fill out 'First Name, Last Name, Phone Number, Fax Number, and Email Name' which is all located in the same table as organization.

http://uploadhut.com/view.php/25784.zip

thanks for help:bowdown: :bowdown: :wiggle:
    -zain

13. 5Gen_Prelude

In the ad request, you have first name and last name etc... is that supposed to be the same as the contacts name or is that some other name you're tracking? If it's the former, you'll have to eliminate those fields altogether

14. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

it seems to me the girl who gave it to me, made a table then made a report out of that... the information is different, but they go along with each other... like in that table 'incoming request ads' its things that have already been completed, while in contacts shes going to start using those weekly so she wants to beable to select out of that or just type in a new one ... i know its so fucked up the way she made it, but what can i do lol she tells me waht to do

15. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

all you need to do is make a sub form that has a child/master field with the one on the list box, this will then display the relevant info!!!

I think???

16. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

no idea on how to do that lol :(

17. 5Gen_Prelude

No offense, but you are over your head if you can't do something basic like this. I'm ot trying to be cruel and this would be very easy to do but I feel like I do this one thing and you won't have learned anything whatsoever. I strongly suggest you read a book on it, or go through the northwinds.

What I said was accurate - you need to base the form on a query that links the order table to the contract table. You don't need autofills or anything like that. Then change the ContactID text box into a combo box and base that combo box on the contact table. That's it. If you don't understand, start reading and start playing around with it since this is really basic stuff.

18. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

actually by you doing it, i would go through it and see how you did it cause thats the kind of person i am... to me i dont find this very simple im still a noob when it comes to doing this so im trying to learn.. ive tried readin books, just find it complicating :(

ps. im workin on what you just said, im not going to give up :nono:

19. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

well actually what i said previous was quite innacurate...

the list boxes will need to be made using the SQL. the bound colum will need to be an identifyer for the company, and you can the use a child/master setting on a subform with all the info on. and then in the "on click" event of the list box, you can have it to reqery the subform...code is "forms![formname]![subformname].requery" easy really!!!

Have Fun

C_Blyth