MicroShaft WinBlows, linux crew lil help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Roadkill_ak_47, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Roadkill_ak_47

Roadkill_ak_47 Support your local Pirate

ok so i wana use a distro of linux im not to picky and it dosnt matter couse theres thousands of them

all im using windows for is gaming, but im under the understanding that there are linux programs that will alow me to use windows apps can/would this include games?

input please, i've got ahold of a few distro's including one called linspire formaly lindows (microsoft sue'd and they changed)

2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer New Member

Linspire is a good distro. I recommend going with a dual boot - you can use software to emulate the Windows environment to run games, but it's crap quality when compared to the real thing.

3. Roadkill_ak_47

hmm
    dual bootage ehh

i could put all my windows crap on this pos 20gig i got thats a good idea

4. red

red New Member

The distro you want is Ubuntu. By far, the simplest linux setup you will ever encounter.

The tool you want to attempt to run windows apps is WINE. I don't promise success.

5. Boomhauer

Boomhauer New Member

Ubuntu is also a good one, and one I'd second, as far as trying.

But ask ten different people, and you'll get ten different answers as to which distribution is best. The key is to be open to trying a few of them, and then choosing the one that best suits you.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I like Ubuntu.
    FC5 looks pretty good too, but I haven't used it for any long period of time.

I recently tried the Mandriva 2007 RC and it's fcking neat (especially if you have a radeon <= 9600 or another card with a decent free 3d driver, when you get out-of-the-box 3d effects in compiz, that really impressed me).

7. Roadkill_ak_47

i also had ubuntu some where, but i think im lookin at linspire, im ok with trying out a bunch of os's im just sick of winblows

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

ubuntu is all hype! That crap of an OS didn't even recognize my GeForce 3 video card.

Fedora Core 5 is hella easier to install and manage. It's one of the easiest installs of Linux out there and it's got the GUI built in. Unless you are a seasoned Linux guy, I'd stay away from Ubuntu.

9. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Haven't you used and installed Ubuntu 6.06? It's fucking beautiful. The installation disk boots up to a full graphical Ubuntu desktop, where to install it you double click the install icon on the desktop, and a beautiful graphical program assists you through the installation process. And you can play minesweeper, surf the web, or whatever, while you wait.

10. Coottie

Yup...it was U 6.06. It killed it when I was stuck at 640x480 resolution because the OS didn't recognize my ~7 year old video card and finding a driver was just :greddy: when Fedora Core recognized it all on the installation.

11. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

Ubuntu vote. Have two machines, one test server, solid as a rock.

Coottie brought up this issue awhile back and I agree, ubuntu should recognize video drivers on install. However, it literally takes 5 minutes to install those drivers. I think you should try it. Dual boot if you play games because Cedega isn't bad at running windows games, but its not great either.

12. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

What drivers? NVIDIA doesn't allow just anybody to redistribute those binaries.

And even if they allowed the Ubuntu people to, they have commitments to ship only open source (at least) software on the CD.

13. Coottie

I'm not sure why you say it takes 5 minutes to install the drivers. I was unable to find an OS updater on their GUI and I'm not anywhere near a Linux Intermediate user...I'm a Linux noob and it doesn't seem at all easy to install to me.

However with FC 5, it not only recognized my older hardware it has an update OS option built right into the GUI that works as well as, if not better than, Microsofts Windows Updater. No messing with d/l tar.gz files or searching for the right update based on your current installed package. Nope, just tell it to update and it does the rest. It's soo easy a noob like me can do it. IMO that has a LOT of value!!

In the past, I've messed with Linux and power users or people that know more about it then I did would tell me it's easy to update the OS. You just have to know what version (of each and every program) you have installed, then look for an .rpm to update it. With FC 5, I don't have any of those issues....just tell the OS to update and it handles the version numbers and package dependancies for me. :bigthumb:

14. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Ubuntu does the same.. Generally all noob-friendly GNU/Linux distros have that feature and have had it for some time now.

15. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

Ubuntu has an updater as well. Its automatic. Bug fixes or updates notifications appear in the tray.

If you want to install something, like ati or nvidia drivers, goto System > Admin > Synaptic Package Manager. Type in the name 'nvidia' or 'ati', select it, then install.

Another method: goto Synaptic Package manager > Type easyubuntu or automatix. Select, install. It will not be in the apps menu. Run either of those apps, and find the option to install the drivers. Simple.

Yes, it should take 5 minutes, or less. Synaptic handles dependencies, so you just need to be able to click your mouse.

16. Coottie

Cool thanks!

I've been wanting to play around with Ubuntu because everyone always says what a great OS it is but I just got frustrated...especially compared to Fedora. I've got another HD that I can use to play around with this distro so I'll have another go at it.

17. Coottie

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

This actually worked!!!

However, this required some playing around, patience and a reboot but it wasn't that bad. The hard part is knowing which of those packages to install and it wasn't really easy to reveiw the details with the 640x480 resolution. I would pick a handful of packages to install, then relog into my system and the OS would prompt me to update my OS....then it would uninstall the changes I just made. :)

The way I solved it was to install those restricted packages, that were specific to my processor. That seemed to do the trick and it's now up and running....so thanks again.

18. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

19. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I downloaded and installed Fedora Core 5 about 2 weeks ago. It is incredibly simple.