LGBT Michigan Bill Could Deny Gays Health Care (News)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CoCo, Apr 24, 2004.

1. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Uhhh...:ugh:
    Opposition Mounting Michigan Bill That Could Deny Gays Health Care
    April 23, 2004 5:32 p.m. ET

(Lansing, Michigan) Some Michigan legislators are calling for amendments to a bill passed in the state House this week that could allow doctors and nurses who object to homosexuality to deny gays treatment or prescription drugs.

As reported first by 365Gay.com, the Conscientious Objector Policy Act would allow health care providers to assert their objection within 24 hours of when they receive notice of a patient or procedure with which they don't agree. However, it would prohibit emergency treatment to be refused. (story)

The bill was aimed at allowing doctors opposed to abortion or stem cell research to refuse the procedures, but opponents of the legislation say it is so loosely worded it could be used to refuse treatment to gays.

During debate in the legislature Rep. Chris Kolb (D-Ann Arbor) the first openly gay legislator in Michigan, pointed out that while the legislation prohibits racial discrimination by health care providers, it doesn't ban discrimination based on a person's sexual orientation.

"Are you telling me that a health care provider can deny me medical treatment because of my sexual orientation? I hope not," he said.

The bills don't allow health care providers to refuse emergency service or object to treating anyone covered by the state's Elliot-Larsen civil rights act, which bans discrimination based on religion, race, color, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, familial status or marital status.

Friday Kolb again pointed out that sexual preference is not on that list.

"If they wanted to cover sexual orientation, they would have to add it in there, and they obviously have not done so," he said Friday. "It's blatantly discriminatory at the very least."

The Republican dominated House passed the bill easily and it is now before the Senate.

"It's completely radical, completely unconstitutional and violates every ethic in the medical profession," said Sean Kosofsky the policy director for Detroit LGBT rights group Triangle Foundation. Kosofsky said he expects the legislation will be challenged in court if the Senate passes it and it isn't vetoed by Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm.

As concerns grow within the LGBT community that the legislation could be used to deny service to gays some legislators are suggesting amendments.

Rep. Randy Richardville (R-Monroe), one of the bills' sponsors, said he would be willing to see the bill amended to protect medical treatment for gays and lesbians.

"We are not trying in any way shape or form to push our moral, ethical or religious beliefs on anyone else. What we are doing is trying to protect those beliefs for those providing medical care," he said. "I have no problem with adding a little more language so that people who are different than I am don't feel we are threatening or trying to hurt them in any way."

Gov. Granholm is also concerned about the wording in the bill. Her spokesperson said the bills need to be changed before the governor will sign the legislation.

"As it is, it's too broad," Liz Boyd said. "We are sympathetic to this issue and we want to work with the Legislature to develop a version of the legislation that we all support."

Source => http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/04/042304michHealth.htm

2. Taylor

Taylor Guest

Ok, I have to admit, I didn't read it... because I was :rofl:ing over the title.

3. CoCo

:rofl: ...but read it!

4. Taylor

Taylor Guest

Ok, I read it.

Holy shit :eek4: That really does violate all of the ethics of medicine. That's fucking insane.

5. CoCo

which is why I wanted you to read it... And they say we aren't marginalized anymore.