SRS Michael Jackson and the mentally ill.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MartyFukstein, Jun 26, 2009.

1. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Michael Jackson was the most publicly known mentally ill person in the world. It's rare that a person so sensitive and shy becomes so famous. His father pushed him very hard to become a pop star; he would not have pursued a pop career without that influence and we would have never known him. He's a very rare case.

He likely had OCD and schizophrenia. The media were brutal to him, nicknaming him "wacko Jacko." He was allowed to live eccentrically because of his wealth, but most with his condition would be forced to fix their illness to earn a living and survive.

A lot of the mentally ill could related to Jackson. He is extremely sensitive and shy. People do not understand his interests. He is called names and heckled. He gets depressed and disappears for weeks and months. He does things he regrets and doesn't understand his motivations for doing them.

On a smaller scale, this is the isolated and strange life of a mentally ill person. And like Michael, the mentally ill have profound talents (artistic, intellectual, poetic, literary, etc.). Because Michael's talents were appreciated by millions around the world, mentally ill people could take pride in him. It was like their own talents being recognized and celebrated.

Thank you Michael for your legacy. You are one of the most important mentally ill people in history.

2. 7960

7960 New Member

I saw plenty of evidence that he was pretty fucking weird, but none that he was mentally ill.

he said this?

They have no more profound talents than "normal" people. We just hear about the ones with "profound talents" because they stand out. And we say people with challenges "always have a gift" to make ourselves feel better somehow...like that absolves us from caring that their lives suck worse than ours.

I never heard, saw, or read a mentally ill person take pride in michael jackson because he was somehow representing them. Me not hearing it doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the mentally ill didn't consider him a representative to the "normal" world (or even mentally ill for that matter).

3. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

:wtc:

4. 7960

7960 New Member

in a thread about him being mentally ill, what's your point?

5. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

:cliffs: or bs.

6. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

What's the point of your question? I was merely stating facts.

Jeez

edit: Someone needs to take a chill pill.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

TS said he's mentally ill.

I said he's not.

You replied to me with a quote about him taking demerol.

I asked why.

my question to you wasn't rocket science.

I've about lost my patience. Either stop trolling or I'll be the next one putting you in for a ban.

8. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Last time I checked, addiction was infact a mental illness.

Understand now?

9. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

He was obviously mentally ill with something. But he was clever as shit as well. Best decision he ever made, and probably one that made him the most money for doing nothing, was buying almost all rights to The Beatles songs.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

you've got to be fucking kidding me.

his entire first post was about OCD, schizophrenia, and how he had a mental illness. nowhere did he mention that the mental illness was drugs, addiction, or anything even remotely connected to either, or even that drugs/addiction might have been the cause of his being weird.

11. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Are you serious? I can read, thx.

Drug addiction/withdrawls can lead to many other issues, and can co-occur w/ mental illness.

12. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

13. 7960

7960 New Member

except that he was taking the pain killer as prescribed by a doctor for an injury.

you can stop now.

14. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Until it turned into an ADDICTION. Btw the ''injury'' happened in 1984. 25 year ADDICTION to pain meds.

Thx.

15. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Still want to bash me for trolling?

16. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

He might have been mentally ill, or not, nobody really knows. I wouldn't be suprised given his childhood and family situation. He was more or less exploited and used by his entire family since was, what, 5 years old?

17. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Not to mention he was raised a Jehovah Witness until his latter teens where he excommunicated himself :hsugh:

18. 7960

7960 New Member

his having an addiction to drugs doesn't mean he was mentally ill as the thread starter said.

and IF he was mentally ill as the thread starter said, it's not necessarily true that it was caused by his drug addiction.

and when it takes 9 posts for you to finally come to your first coherent point in this one thread while also still acting like an ass in other forums, yes I still think you're trolling.

19. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Well I guess we'll never know, will we?

20. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Nice. :hs:

In for next attempted debate.

21. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Oh I'm sure one of his sisters or brothers (Not Janet) will put out a book about their dear brother that will air all his dirty little secrets. It'll sell millions.

22. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

In the works, as we speak.

23. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Michael had Lupus, which is similar to the symptoms I deal with. A lot of inflammation, neuropathy, light sensitivity, etc. This is why you saw him wearing those "pajamas, dark glasses, and masks over his face. Chances are he had multiple chemical sensitivies. Breathing air with perfumes, environmental toxins/fumes likely would make him feel sicker. The light pants and clothing helped prevent the "burning" feeling that clothing causes on the skin. I've had that a lot during the course of my illness. The dark glasses, obviously light sensitivity.

In-fact he's been on a lot of medications I'm on. Hydroxyqunine, Demoral, etc. The inflammation is systemic and can get into the brain, which probably resulted in some of the poor decisions and strange behavior he's demonstrated at various points.

He wasn't healthy, but the public didn't really know that. Most just thought he was nuts, but chances are his ill physical health and mental health were directly connected. Lupus causes a variety of psychiatric problems as it attacks the central nervous system.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  24. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Not to mention his skin was bleached so badly that he almost had no natural skin pigmentation which would cause him to burn almost immediately after stepping into the sun.

25. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Vitiligo is an autoimmune disorder which is likely related to his Lupus. Both are autoimmune disorders. The cause of those disorders is unknown. The evidence for both points to a variety of possibilities. Both conditions were diagnosed at nearly the exact same time -- around 1986.