miata

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by kdizzle59, May 9, 2007.

1. kdizzle59

kdizzle59 New Member

ok well next week i am supposed to be getting a miata. its a 1997 miata from texas it has 17 inch black rims and altezza tails. it also has an exhaust on the stock motor. The paint is almost flawless. i am excited. i know its kinda "girly" but i have BIG plans for it. so my question is, what are some good sites for suspension. i want it to handle better.

2. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

miata.net

KYB AGX w/ Ground Control adj coilovers is the poor man setup, TEIN has several kits depending on your budget.

Ditch the heavy 17" wheels and the gay clear tails asap.

3. kdizzle59

kdizzle59 New Member

o most def. i want my car light...even lighter than it already is. and thanks for the help. and yea my budget is going to be a lot higher in the summer and i am not sparing anything. its going to be top notch.

4. Derrict

too bad you're not in my area. I'd let you borrow some of my extra gear (SPAX 16 way adjustable coilovers, BSP sway bars w/ adjustable heim joint end links). I'm also selling my SSR Competitions (9 lbs /each) since I barely drive my 97 Miata since purchasing an 04 Mazdaspeed MX5.

5. kdizzle59

kdizzle59 New Member

well do you know anyone who has a miata cheaper than the one i am buying...i am trying to work something out so i can make payments to an individual instead of going to a bank and getting a loan but thats hard when no one has one that i know and the people i look at dont trust me.

6. Derrict

price?

7. kdizzle59

kdizzle59 New Member

well i am going to be paying about 6-7 thousand...but i know i could find one cheaper...i just wished i could get a loan or find a buddy selling one

8. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

My friend bought his 1991 a couple months ago with 19k miles on it for only $4.5k. It's in pristine condition. Has aftermarket wheels and no power steering FTW. I'd love to pick one of these up as well, but no $$ :(

9. kdizzle59

kdizzle59 New Member

yea well i have too much on my credit...i dont pay it because i used my credit for other people. now i am in a crappy situation. my credit is AWESOME but it looks like i dont make enough a month to pay everything so banks say no.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The new Miatas are probably already at or above your goals for the older model you're going to get, and unless you're getting the old one at a steal, the money you'll spend buying, repairing, and upgrading it could very well cost you more than a new Miata. Consider just leasing a new one with a power hardtop.

11. Derrict

I'd sell you my 97 (72k miles, red) for $4500 but it sounds like you'd have problems coming up with the cash.

12. kdizzle59

kdizzle59 New Member

no i make the money. i just cant come up with 4500 right off the bat. which sucks.

13. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

stance also makes a good monotube coilover for pretty cheap, and a lot of the miata drifters have nothing but good things to say about them. poly bushings and subframe braces will help out a lot, also.

14. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Ugh gawd I hated the NC I drove. And power hardtops are heavy. And also it costs three times what he's looking to spend.

If I were him I would look for a clean '99-00 Sport, that should be obtainable for about the same money. It's just as light (the '01+ gained weight), nicer interior, and a bit more potential.

But even as NA Miatas go, it should not be hard to find one that hasn't been all fucked up with RiMmZ and stupid taillights. Lots of people with enough money for a toy car but not enough for a toy Porsche own Miatas with low mileage that have been garaged and babied for their whole lives.

15. kdizzle59

kdizzle59 New Member

lol i dont give a shit about the motor...basically all i want is a body that isnt wrecked. like i said i have plans for it

16. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Try to find an early ear car then. Clean 1.6s (90-93) are not very hard to find and cost much less than 1.8s. Apart from the driveline, the only differences between a '90 and a '97 are slightly larger brakes and a couple of chassis braces. You can bolt up a Torsen diff and any kind of motor, suspension, brakes, etc. in a 1.6 just as easily as later years. Everything else is identical.

ed: I want a Mariner Blue 1.6, myself
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  17. Derrict

[​IMG]
    my fucked up 97 with 9 lb SSR Competition RiMmZ :(

18. kdizzle59

kdizzle59 New Member

whats fucked up...damnit i hate you lol i want one sooo damn bad

19. Derrict

I prefer driving my 04 MSM over the 97, though. The 99-05 chassis is much more rigid. My 97 has a FSTB, 4 point roll bar, lower front subframe brace, rear subframe brace, plus the stock bracing and it still isn't even close to the NB chassis rigidity.

[​IMG]

20. atomic punk

atomic punk pretty hate machine

what bar is that in your 97?

i was thinking of making the FM butterfly brace and a roll bar the first two mods for my 94, just can't decide on a bar :hs:

21. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

you got an MX5 now? :eek4:

22. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Dude you know I'm talking about 20lb cast iron Pep Boys grade shitfuck wheels. :)

nice car!

23. atomic punk

atomic punk pretty hate machine

put the deposit on it friday, picking up this week... the wait is killing me :hs:

24. sub9lulu

sub9lulu LSx RX-7 in progress krew

mazdaspeed > *

25. Derrict

The bar is made by Brainstorm (powdercoated black). It's pretty solid and fit good. It did rub slightly on the passenger side against the top. Fitment was off by less than a millimeter.

A rollbar has a funny effect on people. The first thing they do is grab it and start shaking the car. "Yep, it's sturdy." I'm not sure what they expect to happen - their bare hands ripping out the nuts, bolts, and brackets holding it down. :mamoru: