Miata vs 240sx for track car

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by its a guy thing, Aug 26, 2007.

1. its a guy thing

its a guy thing New Member

I'm in somewhat of an interesting predicament. I'm looking for a car to use at the track. One of them is a 240sx S13 or S14 which I would be going in on w/ my cousin. He'd also be using it as a track car and drift car.

The other car I'd get is a Miata, which I would probably be on my own.

My goal is to have a track car that can help me develop as a driver.

W/ the 240 all the costs of mods and car would be split between two people which can make it really cost effective. Also all the work on the car would be split up too.

Either way though the costs are probably about the same, but I think the 240 would be more versatile as I can start doing some drift days. Call me jumping on the bandwagon if you want. I'm mostly a road course guy.

2. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

i have a s13, love it. But a miata sounds like a good choice too...so your mostly a road guy?

3. I'd take the miata hands down. I'm actually preparing to start a miata track car build myself. After tracking my C5 I've considered the costs of prepping a Vette vs. a Miata, of course, the miata is waaaay less expensive. If you look at the miata vs. the 240 I think you'll find that the miata is vastly more popular for road course work. There's tons of information out there about setups and there are many miata fanatics to be found at track days. I'm sure any of them would love to give advice and assistance.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'd say the Miata is better than the 240. I get to drive one on a regular basis, and it's very light and very stable. It's also very stiff, so while my father may like getting 38mpg on his daily commute, I'd rather have the 240 as a road car because it's more comfortable.

EDIT: Two people buying one car is a BAD idea. Just imagine what would happen if it got wrecked.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  5. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

both are great cars, drive a few and see how you feel. I think there are lots more miata's on the road that have been unmolested to choose from, although S13 240's are cheap! I wouldn't go in on a car with anyone, especially family. If you can't afford to do everything you want to the car at once, then just save up and do it as you can.

6. MercenaryForHire

MercenaryForHire only you know the real truth

Motherfucking :werd: Even if there were no other factors in the equation, this should be enough to make you not buy the 240sx.

Get the Miata, and ignore all the jokes about your sexual orientation. :mamoru:

7. ItsStockOfficer

ItsStockOfficer Active Member

I have had a lot of cars, some deep in the 11's, domestic and import. My low 14 second turbo Miata was by far the best of all of them and the most fun to drive.

8. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

Miata hands down. Ranked as one of the greatest sports cars ever made, and will definately help you develop as a driver. If you're looking to start drifting, the aftermarked for drift oriented parts is growing for the miata. Check out www.roadsterdrift.com. Its pretty much like OT, but with good info on drifting a car tougher to drift that the cheater chassis 240sx, lol.

9. s14alex

s14alex New Member

Miata = no power, but fun
    240 = potential power and fun

10. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

the miata has plenty of power potential. a 300whp miata is more than most can handle.