SRS Methods to calm down from anxiety etc.? (Anon)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Throwdown, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Throwdown

Throwdown whore destroyer

I'm going to have to speak in front of a group of people (a dozen or so) and I get really really nervous, and it isn't anything I can rehearse for. Do you guys have any tips such as slow, concentrated breathing to calm down for it? I also have alot of anxiety and nervousness regarding pretty much anything remotely social and tips for those sorts of situations to calm down would be helpfull too. Thanks!

(message posted anonymously through PM)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  2. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

visualize yourself performing and doing it well.

3. johan

johan Active Member

There are a lot of books which discuss public speaking.

It'll still be scary, public speaking is said to be feared worse than death, apparently, but fact is, you won't actually die from public speaking.

1 Practice beforehand,

2 Know your material backwards and forwards, become the absolute EXPERT on the topic so you can't possibly be caught off-guard. This helps to instill real self-confidence instead of false bravado.

3 Stretch beforehand.

4 Close your eyes and breathe deeply.

5 Visualise yourself speaking clearly, confidently.

Then go out there.

4. Nihilist

Nihilist Guest

You can also try speaking for yourself at home with a tape recorder, use it to listen for your own flaws in your speech and then practice to correct them, this will make you feel more confident about speaking in general. Also, the fact that you're actually using a tape recorder gives you a feeling as if you're performing before it, after practicing with it i think you will feel abit more confident atleast.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I always say to myself 'what does it matter to eternity?' nothing usual so nothing to worry about :)

Or simular, what would it matter to the vastness of the entire universe even if the entire earth exploded? Not much :)

6. cubrew

cubrew New Member

tell yourself to nosebreathe when you start getting nervous (although this might not work so well when you are speaking). It will force you to take longer, deeper breaths, rather than quick ones in rapid succession which can hyper-oxygenate your blood, which in turn causes you to become more anxious.... etc.

7. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I've taken 4 public speaking classes and I still get nervous.

The key is confidence. Be confident in what you're talking about. That way, you won't have to worry about whether they're buying what you're telling them as long as your confident about it.

I used to hate public speaking, now I love it. I've done in in front of hundreds of people at churches and stuff.. doesn't phase me anymore, though I get nervous right before I start... palms sweaty, heart racing etc.

8. brokenrobot

brokenrobot Guest

Make sure to breathe.

I'm actually seeing someone right now to help me work through this. Make sure to breathe deeply. A lot of the times because you are so nervous you forget to breathe as you shouldm, making things much more difficult.