SRS Methadone.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mckinney952, Jun 13, 2006.

1. mckinney952

mckinney952 New Member

I think i may have a problem with Methadone. Does anyone know anything about it? i started it like 6 monthes ago ...but for the last month i have had to eat at least 1 or more pill of 10mg. a day. Any one know how i can stop or wing my self off?

2. holy diver

holy diver OT Supporter

heroine??? i have a friend that goes city to city getting methadone, he gets sick if he doesnt have it :sad2:

3. Nonphixion

Nonphixion New Member

You're building a tolerance to it, after taking it for six months of course your body would gradually have adjusted. As is the case with any substance.

4. Metal

Metal Active Member

Are you prescribed it or using it recreationally? That makes a big difference.. Either way, you should probably seek medical advice before things get really bad.. Methadone is a serious drug.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

So, it sounds like you just replace one drug (herione) with another (methodone)? or am I confused?

If you've been taking it for 6 months and need more and more, you should prolly see a doctor. Taking medical advice from people here is not a good idea.

6. Metal

Metal Active Member

Methadone is a narcotic analgesic and it is most commonly used on people who are addicted to things such as heroin and morphine. Methadone will help the person's body get through the withdrawals that they would have had if they just stopped taking the other drugs cold-turkey.

However, methadone can also be prescribed for other medical reasons such as chronic pain. It is a highly preferred medication because it is non-addictive and can be used for long term treatments.

Either way, if any person is taking methadone for any reason it should be closely watched by a Doctor. Get to a Doctor as soon as you can; if you can't get to a Doctor go to your local Emergency Room.

Also, Coottie is right - this is not the place to seek advice on something like this.. you are talking serious business here.. and talking about trying to get yourself off of it by yourself. I highly doubt you will be able to get yourself off a heavy narcotic like methadone.

I also asked you before if you were prescribed it for something or if you started out using it recreationally.. if you were prescribed it the Doctor should have been watching you pretty closely the entire time you were on it; something like at least once a month.. And if there are any dosage changes, such as going down or going up, or completely stopping, those decisions have to be made by the Doctor that wrote the prescription or another Doctor that specializes in that.

7. Metal

Metal Active Member

This is also true, and building a tolerance to it is bad if you are getting the medication off the street.. because it seems like you are having a problem finding it and I'm sure methadone is not a cheap thing to buy on the street from a dealer. :ugh:

If a Doctor did in fact prescribe the methadone, he could increase your dose if you have become tolerant to it; tolerance can still happen with methadone even though it is used to get people away from drug addictions. I wish you luck.. and you still haven't told us why you are using this drug or how you are getting it.. it would be much easier to give advice if we knew. But still keep in mind most of us that are replying are probably not Doctors. :nono:

8. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Consult your local physician and attend a Narcotics Anonymous meeting. Instructions for finding a meeting can be found in the stickies.