Metal out there that really hits you...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Brieldo, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Brieldo

Brieldo Bigger than you are.

What do you guys think? Chimaira, as of late, is relaly doing it for me. You guys got any ideas?

2. d00d00

d00d00 In cold blood

Damaged. They're an old school band from Melbourne in Australia but the drummer is one of the most amazing drummers I have ever seen. Yet another band that could have been fucking huge if they weren't in this musical void of a country...

3. planb

planb itches in my teeth

pig destroyer is about as metal as i get. most is too slow for my taste. <3 fastcore <3

4. fatlip

fatlip Transcendence Into The Peripheral

:ugh: Then you haven't listened to enough Deathgrind or extreme BM, try Nile or Crytopsy on for size, or Anaal nathrakh, now thats FAST!

Anyways, Pod vladou bice by !T.O.O.H.! and Elvenefris by Lykaeme aflame have been doing it for me recently :bowdown:

5. bush0102

bush0102 Guest

Killswitch Engage, Five Pointe O are good. Is 36 Crazyfists considered metal??

I love the intro with the piano/guitar on "Down Again" by Chimaira

6. fatlip

None of the bands you mentioned are regarded as real metal, there all metalcore, and there not even decent metalcore at that. Metalcore is hardcore punk crossed with metal elements. Go listen to some decent death metal or black metal bands, then you'll understand what real metal is all about :)

7. Brieldo

Brieldo Bigger than you are.

See, to me, metal isnt just playing your shit as loud and fast as you can, without any melody or underlying harmony. Cannibal Corpse..yeah, they can play fast but the vocals sound like shit and they just make noise. Chimaira, for example, has amazing rhythm, and harmony, and the vocals are almost melodic at times. Call it what you want but even Kerry King thinks they kick ass.

8. planb

planb itches in my teeth

I like some Nile.. my best friend is a huge Nile fan, I have one or two of their albums. Its just that the bands I do like that are sort of "metal" are more hardcore with a metal edge I guess. Ive heard Cryptopsy's none so vile album, I dont like that style of vocals really. :dunno:

I just should have stayed out of this thread :o

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  9. fatlip

A lot of people don't like Lord wyrms vocals, but he's the reason why I love Cryptopsy, he sounds completely off the wall and psychotic, just like a great DM vocalist should be.

I'm gonna need you to explain the Nile sounding hardcore comment though, I've never heard anybody refer to Nile as having hardcore elements before. There brutal DM, which combines DM with Grindcore structures, so there's probably a small amount of core influence but I'd say there most definately metal first and foremost. I'm not having a go, I'm just interested in hearing your view on it.

10. fatlip

I can see your point there, and I agree, Cannibal Corpse suck. But the problem with Chimaira is that they are entirely too simplistic and boring. Listen to there songs, they consist of like 3 or 4 riffs at most, the bass work is non-existent, and the vocalist shows hardly any variation as well. The only high point is the drumming, but thats stiffled by the extreme simplicity of the other instruments.

Chimaira could be good potentially, but they need to stop worshipping Pantera, break out of the groove-based metal thing and do something interesting.

11. Children of Bodom

12. MattyCakes

MattyCakes Guest

Elven King. :mamoru:

13. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

of recent stuff? bleeding through, avenged sevenfold, emery, everytime i die, as i lay dying

14. planb

planb itches in my teeth

no no no no... I didnt mean to say that Nile is hardcore at all.. I wasnt using them as an example. I guess the only band that would come close would be pig destroyer. I would say Asterik and Nasum but they dont really have any metal elements. I suck at this game. Hardcore/metal/grind isnt my forte and the lines get blurred sometimes. I like cephalic carnage, is that like death grind? stoner grind, stoner metal...

15. ced

ced Guest

Meshuggah. I don't know why, but they're awesome.

Cradle Of Filth. Despite their horribleass song titles (Painting Flowers White Never Suited My Palatte...seriously what the fuck) they are pretty good.

16. fatlip

I know what you mean, I suck at the metal genre game too. Its just to darn confusing and there so many groups that combines elements from all over the place nowadays. I tend to just call it as I hear it and screw what some genre obsessed metal geek says.

Personnally I would class Cephalic carnage as grindcore, though many consider them to be Deathgrind. The band however calls themselves Hydrogrind, on account of the heroic amount of weed that they consume and the fact that most of there lyrics are weed related or weed induced :rofl:

Asterik and Nasum are pretty much hardcore nowadays, shame cause Nasum produced some really good grind at the start of there career.

Meshuggah kick ass :bowdown:

17. im afraid i see a lot more melody and infinitely more interesting rhythm in cannibal corpse then i see in chimaira... why listen to 2 melodies in 4:4 for 5 minutes when you can listen to 15 in 3 minutes changing tempo every 10 seconds? it's just that your ears haven't adjusted to the more intricate metal styles yet...

oh and the topic reads "metal that really hits you" rather then "metal that puts you to sleep with it's simplicity". brought it on yourself :p

18. Jamien

Jamien Sabotage. Overthrow. Disobey and Demolish.

I've heard some tracks from it, that made me want that album SO bad :eek3:

also children of bodom's and caliban's newest ones

19. PPC4100

PPC4100 Guest

hey guys, im new here, buy anyway, Black Dahlia Murder and older Cryptopsy have been in my loop lately, and as for speed metal you should check out Berzerker

20. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

saw BDM a while back, good live show.

Lately, I've been listening to alot of Unearth

21. fatlip

The Berzerker are pretty good, I prefer there more death metally tracks (off of Dissimulate) to the gabba inspired stuff.

I've been loving Anaal nathrakh's new album Domine Non Es Dignus, its a large slab of very fast and intense Black metal.

22. dontothejuan

dontothejuan New Member

did you see black daliah murder and unearth on tour with terror? it was fucking sick

23. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

Yeah, great show, got a couple autographs

24. hello pedro

hello pedro Guest

...Emery? Tell me what aspect of Emery hits the metal genre. It's melodic hardcore AT BEST.

25. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

see them live, you'll understand.
    metal fan's should atleast be able to appreciate it. they have some really good breakdowns & some of the best vocal harmonizing since alice in chains.