GUN Metal Detector Leads Boys To Live Grenade

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Feb 18, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Metal Detector Leads Boys To Live Grenade
    http://www.local6.com/news/15321446/detail.html
    POSTED: 5:28 pm EST February 16, 2008

PACE, Fla. -- An 8-year-old boy and his friend found something dangerous while searching for buried treasure with a metal detector -- a live, World War II-era hand grenade.

Sidney Mathis and his friend found nails, bolts and a toy Hot Wheels car by sweeping the detector over a grassy field near their apartment complex on Thursday.

But it was their other find that alarmed Sidney’s father, Chris Mathis. The man arrived home Thursday to find the boys about to put the grenade into a bucket of water.

He grabbed the grenade and dangled it outside the window of his sport utility vehicle as he drove away from the apartment complex.

Mathis eventually had second thoughts.

“I hit a bump and that’s about the time I realized moving the grenade wasn’t the brightest thing to do,” he said.
    :rofl::ugh::rofl:

Two members of an Air Force explosives unit from nearby Hurlburt Field in the Florida Panhandle took the grenade and destroyed it Friday morning.

Sidney’s treasure hunting days aren’t over, but his father hopes he learned a lesson.

“We told him he could find jewelry and things like that, but he couldn’t play with bombs,” Chris Mathis said.

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

holding a live grenade out the window huh?

:ugh:

3. smartypants

smartypants New Member

why not just pop the fuze out?

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

if its been sitting in the ground for decades the fuze is probably shot, I'd leave it where it was and call the cops.. Now if I found one inside somewhere and it wasn't all rusted to shit.... I'll plead the fif.

5. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

[​IMG]

Where did you get a grenade?

I DON'T KNOW!

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I was coming in this thread expecting to read about a bunch of pansy kids that ran to get their parents. Its good to see that kids still have a sense of adventure ;)

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

rofl even if it was in my house I would get the fuck out :rofl:

8. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Unusual take on this, but I concur. :)They weren't sitting inside playing Halo and getting fat. They were outside looking for treasure. Good job little bros.:wavey:

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I have a very hazy memory of a young child of being at my grandmothers and making adventure for myself. Grandpa was dead and I knew there was a gun on top of the cabinet and I knew the ammo was in the drawer by the door. I was really young but knew the gun was dangerous, but the ammo sounded like fun. I grabbed a 50 pack of .22lr's, a hammer and went to the backyard. I placed the ammo on the brick and gave it a wack with a hammer hoping for some fireworks. None went off. I think I was hitting the bullet. :rofl:

10. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I had a similar experience.:rofl:
    Found an undetonated shell from a commercial fireworks display. Lit it off at ground level.:noes:
    The resulting flash burnt the fingernails on my hands - no permanent damage, but exciting for a moment.

11. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

lol. id have pulled the pin n tossed it.... then i wouldnt be posting here anymore prolly

12. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

:rofl:

What's a live WWII grenade doing in Florida?

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think they use to do alot of training down there, always reading about someone digging something up down there from grenades to aircraft bombs, bases closed after the war now they built subdivisions on them.

14. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Oh god if only I could remember all of my injuries from my pyro days so I could list them here. My personal favorite was me and my friends were on this dirt hill and filled an empty mountain dew 20oz bottle with ligher fluid and set it on fire hoping it would explode. It just burned slowly out of the top and my friends convinced me to kick it over and step on it to get it to shoot out. Flames + plastic bottle + shoe = sticky flame of death. After running around with my leg on fire for a few seconds I managed to kick my shoe off, but not before I managed to singe off all of my leg hair. My mom never did find out what happened to that shoe. :mamoru:

15. smartypants

smartypants New Member

...and there's no point in explaining. She'd only be concerned.:wavey:

16. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I had a friend that did the exact same thing with a gord filled with gasoline. worst part was that it was on film, and it was a brand new shoe. His parents never did find out about that though. I've got a lot of good ole pyro/explosives stories. Vaporized a watermelon one time, that was fun, and I have video.
    http://www.youtube.com/v/K_7S9_XcVXk