A&P Metadata in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by verbal, Mar 13, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I was filling in some metadata and it wouldn't save. Is metadata supposed to save automatically in Lightroom?

I found 'save metadata to file' in the pulldown menus, then it stuck. But I'm wondering, is metadata always saved to file in Lightroom or is it just saved in LR's database?

Also, I found that keywords are saved to jpgs when exporting. Is all metadata saved too?

2. verbal

verbal Active Member

Anyone?

3. mojito

mojito New Member

there's a few things going on, theres your info/camera/lens, and all the changes made to the image.

at import, it adds and extra info about you/copyright/iptc info that you want it to. then you can edit the photo.

All that info is stored to a .xmp sidecar file. There's an option in the preferences to auto write the info to file, or not. Auto write slows shit down, but if you access files from another program without exporting or sending it to the other program from within Lightroom, then it might benefit you.

You can either auto write, export, or at anytime write the data to file.

So there isn't much in the database, it just knows where to find the .xmp files associated with each file. This is true with RAW and jpeg and all other supported types.

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

So, some of my folders now have XMP files in them, but some don't. I figured out that I don't have to do the save to file when editing metadata for it to stay.

Why do some folders have them and some don't? What happens if I delete the XMP files?

5. mojito

mojito New Member

don't know why some do and some don't.

if you delete them then the photos will revert to as they were shot and any changes will be deleted.

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

Just tried deleting them and everything is fine.

Under metadata, since I've adding information, the "metadata status" always has "has changed" next to it. Even after closing and opening LR a few times. Is that always going to say that? Why doesn't that ever 'reset' to show future updates or something?

7. verbal

verbal Active Member

I just checked and all the photos haven't reverted back to 'as shot'. They all still have presets applied to them. :dunno: