metabolism...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by maxxpower, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

I (mistakenly) was always under the impression that eating more frequently during the day was a great way of increasing your metabolism. From the research and posts though lately, it seems as though I am wrong.

But, i still have some conflicting theories...
    First, the importance of breakfast...
    Since we sleep 8 hrs a day and generally 1-2 hours after our last meal, I was always under the impression that the purpose of breakfast was to "tell" your body that it is not starving (from 10+ hrs) and not to preserve its calorie stores since we are eating again. This began your day with a nice metabolic boost.

Am I wrong?

Other things now...
    I know I eat 6-8 times a day only because of my caloric intake would make me puke if i didnt spread it out. Is there any other benefits of eating more frequently?

What exactly does increase metabolism? (besides exercise)

My bro who was preparing for a contest last year started at 28 weeks out at 3500 cals a day and a conservative training approach. Gradually increasing his training and calories proportionately. Eventually he was 6 weeks out at 5000 cals a day and around 8% BF.
    Im assuming it was the increased intensity of the training that allowed him to eat more and burn even more? (not to mention drugs)

2. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

wait what?

since when is it bad to eat more (yet smaller) meals (ie 5-6 smaller meals vs 3 larger meals)?

3. maxxpower

i didnt say it was bad. But, its been proven that frequency of meals does not effect metabolism.
    wtf do i know, im not the one doing the research.

4. maxxpower

Really, I dont know anymore...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494?dopt=Abstract
    Then there is a study that is the exact fucking opposite.
    http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v32/n1/full/0803654a.html

5. NUDES

NUDES New Member

i dont think it really matters. i think if you get 3-4 meals in you you're fine assuming cal intake is the same.

6. maxxpower

well, my goal this year is to reach contest prep conditioning with no dieuretics. So, im trying to figure out how to increase my metbo to its fullest potential.

7. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

Drinking lots of water supposedly increases it. Also I heard the 6-8 small meals does too, and of course exercise.

I haven't done much research on the subject, I'm the type that can eat pizza 2-3x a week and still be skinny :wiggle:

8. NUDES

NUDES New Member

dnp and move around more

9. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

to be honest, i doubt it really matters unless your dialed in with your diet and training.

10. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Meal frequency (mostly healthy snacks) can be better in a normal diet (ie : if you're not counting calories) as it can make people eat less during the normal meals while some other people just add these snacks to their normal meals. If you count cals, you won't really benefit from spreading it over 5-6 meals...

I think the metabolism's adaptability is way overstated mainly by the scrawny kids who "can't seem to gain weight" or the fat people who "can't seem to lose weight".

11. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

That second study is useless because it doesn't even take into account activity, food choice, caloric intake, macro intake and so on. Maybe those who didn't get the 3 meals were fatties dieting (ie : only 1-2 meals a day but snacking on candy all day and drinking cola like water)

12. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I'm a supporter of drug use but DNP fucking scares me.

13. xela

xela So say we all!

Eating smaller meals throughout the day makes sense to me as well, but maybe we're just tricking ourselves into thinking our metabolism is faster because we're eating smaller meals so we don't take as long to digest...who knows.

14. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Only advantage (though important one for me) is that it may maintain blood sugar levels so you're less likely to binge.

15. slurpster

slurpster FLESHY FLAP VALVE NAVIGATOR OT Supporter

Another thing that helps me out with smaller more frequent meals is i'm able to stay on track easier.

For example:
    If I prepare 6 meals for the day, that means I get to eat something every 2-3 hours. On a diet i'm always hungry it seems like. It's easier for me to go 2-3 hours without food, than it is to go 4-6 hours. As long as I keep my meal frequency up, then i'm less likely to cheat just because i'm always stuffing my face.

16. Drewski

Drewski New Member

as long as you remember to purge it doesn't really matter

17. Mass

Mass Active Member

you can always implement t3 at 12.5mcg to just get the most out of your thyroid without causing any impact on its natural output

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.