Metabolism Question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Accord, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accord

Accord New Member

Okay, i'm on a strict diet eating 6 meals a day, but I want to know if one day next week I only eat ONE large meal, will that shut down my metabolism or will your metabolism only shut down and your body go into starvation mode if you're eating ~1 meal a day for long periods of time and just 1 day won't matter?

I'm trying to schedule my cheat meal (it's gonna be 1500 calories at the pancake house :x: ) and basically i'm only eating 1350 calories right now on my diet so basically if I have my cheat meal then I can't eat ANYTHING else for the rest of the day, but I also don't want to eat just 1 meal and then go into starvation mode and shut down my metabolism.

So will 1 day of only 1 big meal and nothing else shut down my metabolism or does it take more than just a day?

Thanks

2. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

it takes a few days to alter hormone levels that effect metabolism, etc. You're not going to "shut down" your metabolism anyway, studies have shown that maximum suppression is only about 30% below normal.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

Thanks, so 1 day won't make a difference :cool:

I've heard that giant carb loads such as during a cheat meal is a good thing anyways.

CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES ftw

4. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

carb loads are good if you are depleted and very low/no carbing. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.