Merc. Critisims C-Class Coupes

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by spiffy_badrock, Jan 6, 2005.

1. spiffy_badrock

spiffy_badrock I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.

In a few months, a new car will most likley be in order. At the moment im in my Volvo 855T, and its quick enough, but lacks the sporty visuals and the extra class that comes from owning a Merc. (Ideally Id take any big 2 door euro, but dont want to go older than a 00' and must have an automatic. So the Merc. seemed one of the best choices.) I just want to hear critisims either from owners, mechanics, etc...CLK430 is what im aming for, the 320 lacks grunt under the hood. What should I expect as fas as handling/speed/quarter figures? Any past experience would be a help.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I drive a volvo, and although many may not agree, I would rather have a volvo than a mercedes...

What price are you looking for? And don't forget the Volvo C70 if you like the 2-door look.

3. spiffy_badrock

Im tired of Volvo, plus the day and time when I get to the aftermarket, it dosent and probably never will exist. I think a Merc is just a better looking/feeling vehicle. C70 = ewww. Just not a fan. Anyway, Id like not to tip 40K if I can avoid it. I should be able to do a 00 or 01 at that price point. Also currently looking at the new GTO, even though it dosent have quite the class of the Merc, its a hell of a lot nicer than my Volvo.

4. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

CLK430, 18" AMG wheels, lowered and you have yourself a big-pimpin mobile :bigthumb:

5. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yup yup

volvo may not have the aftermarket following that some cars like honda or bmw have, but volvo has quality aftermarket parts -- and a lot less crap, which is all you find with some other vehicles.

ipd and eurosport have been great when I've dealt with em.

7. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

you mean CLK class, quite different from C-class, yet similar.

you can get a super charger by kleeman to make em pretty fast. i know they did a CLK430 and it made more HP than a stock CLK55

8. spiffy_badrock

Well, I guess you've provided the best that the vast Volvo aftermarket, has to offer then? Well, using the links you provided, lets eliminate two which are Msg. Boards,
    www.volvospeed.com and www.vptuning.com
    (I'll get to those later)

Ipd, agreed a nice company with good customer service, but the problem with them, next-to nothing for the 850 FWD cars, yeah a mild chip reflash and some suspension stuff, and an overpriced downpipe and catback.

Eurosport Tuning, I dont know who you talked to, but getting a set of Samcos out of them was like pullung teeth.

PES, maybe were not looking at the same site, but I didnt find anything for Volvo's there?

The problem with 99% of all Volvo aftermarket parts providers? They never meet there claims (Think,.....Eastern Aerospace?) You can slap on an EBC, crank it to 1 bar and run 14.2's all day long, or add a heaping helping of parts (Chip, exhaust, intake, PnP TB, PnP'd Intake manifold, etc....) and run 14.1's .

Limitations of the Vehicle
    Nevermind the limits of the stock connecting rods is about 300hp(crank), (woo...300hp, after the auto tranny...265hp to the wheels on a 3500lb vehicle...its a scorcher) therefore unless one does a bottom end rebuild, or goes with a VMS race shortblock and a manual trans...either way, nearly $10K in work just to get to 13.9? (Nevermind the cost of upgraded turbo, because a 15G wont get you to 13's....on a Volvo 850 at least) . Its obvious where these FWD 850's fall short. You wont find more than 10 850's on this side of the pond running under 14.0

The Community
    Well, just to make it abundantly clear, it seems that the solidity of the Volvo tuning community is weat at best, lets look to VolvoSpeed as an example. Frequent fights, arguments...over trivial matters, remeber the twin turbo crown victoria story? It consists of either "how can I make my own CAI, cause EST's too expensive" -Whine or "I just beat me a Vette, and an M3 !" -Lie Its broken down and nothing gets done, the lack of cohesiveness in the community makes it hard for companies producing these products to get adequate feedback on how to make them better.

VPTuning. Its too quiet, nothing really happens there.

The bottom line is, the aftermarket support is little at best, most cant be trusted to provide parts that provide real performance, and the fabric of the small tuning community is torn by whiners, liars and all around idiots, turnng most boards into babysitting affairs. Nevermind the platform has various undermining flaws and simply does not perform. The Volvo aftermarket is loaded with crap, I just refuse to buy it...I want to move to car with a more established pedigree as a luxo-car or sports-car maker, with a supportive community and parts companies (while they may be expensive) that can prove their parts work, where it counts...on the track. I want a car that may not be fast now, but when and where I decide to make it fast, I can.

And on a lighter note, Im tired for driving a wagon. No, sadly its not pimp, nor cool in any way....(at least in my eyes.) I want something with two big doors...and something a little newer than 1996.

9. spiffy_badrock

Now, Back to the regurarly scheduled Merc. thread.......I took a look at an 00' CLK55 and I think I might bypass the the 40K limit. What are the performance diffrences between the CLK430 and the CLK55? (besides hp)

10. Ncognito

Ncognito Guest

11. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

The Volvo 5 Cylinder aluminum block was the strongest Aluminum block when it was debuted. Only downside to the non-t5 Engines are the other internals.

You want to boost your Volvo? Go buy a larger turbo, get an ECU upgrade, new rotors/pads($50 a rotor for Volvospeed members, X-drilled, slotted, dimpled, you can choose), suspension pieces.

"The problem with 99% of all Volvo aftermarket parts providers? They never meet there claims (Think,.....Eastern Aerospace?) You can slap on an EBC, crank it to 1 bar and run 14.2's all day long, or add a heaping helping of parts (Chip, exhaust, intake, PnP TB, PnP'd Intake manifold, etc....) and run 14.1's . "
    So you did this? And you ran your car and got 14.1? Your numbers don't show anything.

Oh ya, Your Volvo won the BTCC. Did you know that? I'm pretty sure Merc had some cars in that year(95-96).

http://www.vptuning.com/parts/catalog/
    Hey, I found a store!

Volvospeed.com Maybe if you bothered to click links, you'd see there is a HUGE Modifications list to keep any 850 owner happy for years.

[​IMG] That's some dated styling. :rolleyes:

"You wont find more than 10 850's on this side of the pond running under 14.0"
    :wtc:
    There in lies half the problem. If I could understand more foriegn languages, I would be able to do so much more.

Get your Merc. But don't diss a Volvo because of your lack of knowledge about them. BTW, Your Merc will only run a 13.1 stock. Why don't you get a Camaro LS1? You can easily do 9's. :noes:

12. spiffy_badrock

Once again simple problems

Great, a strong block...but its only as strong as its internals.
    And VMS would have never brought there rotating assemblies and short blocks to market unless there was a demand, and since its pretty well proven that it takes a beefer set of internals and at least a move to a larger Garett turbo (and new mani) to even get into the 13's.

Brings me to my next point, the members of Volvospeed who can interpret other languages, have told us time and again, across the pond, they run new internals.

If you have read Volvospeed before, you would find those running 19T's , with custom RICA/Upsolute/Ipd/What Have you ECU's, 3'in custom turbo-back exhaust systems, and yes big brake kits still fail to break 14.0

I could care less about BTCC, but if you'd like to bring that up, we will....Volvo did win, with what ah....here in lies the truth, an N/A 5cyl with....guess what....replaced internals!

Just as hindsight, those rotors are junk. I have the cross-drilled on the 855, and well...the diffrence is nil.

And the styling...well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And there are lots of parts I can buy.....dosent mean any of them will do any good?
    Kind of like....theres a huge aftermarket for the civic....with lots of parts....so, strapping a aluminum wing on is a good idea?

Camaros are ugly (in my book) and are a little too common.

And apparently, you missed the
    "Now, Back to the regurarly scheduled Merc. thread" comment
    or the
    "Merc. Critisims C-Class Coupes" Title

Nowhere did I mention dislike for Volvo's till you trolled.

Now, to get back to the topic.
    Now, Back to the regurarly scheduled Merc. thread

13. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

14. silversilvia

15. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

Personally I'd get the 05 Goat with sport package long before considering a used CLK, you'll be getting so much more car for the money. Not to mention I've always considered the CLK to be a girl car. If you really want a Euro coupe, there's always the M3 and 330ci, but if you must have a Merc, and don't mind losing the back seat I'm sure it won't be hard at all to find a Certified 99-02 SL500 for under 40k.

16. silversilvia

i agree with madness. however i don't think a GTO would give you the pimp factor like a MB, but certainly more bang for the buck. the R129 roadster was one of the best, and probably better looking that a lot. get the V8 model as the V12s were so bad. and surely a MB roadster will get you mroe ladies than a CLK :)

17. spiffy_badrock

Im kind of leaning GTO, the only way to get GTO performance out of the CLK is to go 55 AMG, which I dont mind, but the $45K tag dosent like me. I still need to sit in and drive a GTO...I just worry about interior quality...I know it seems like a little thing, but it means a lot to me, you get in and look at it every day...it better be appealing somehow...I always hated the Corvette/Camaro/Firebird for that...I felt like I was in a big cavalier....the GTO seems diffrent in pictures....maybe its because of its original Aussie market.....I still have some inkling for a SLK32....but I had a hard time fitting in a Crossfire (Im 6'2) so the SLK may just be uncomfortable....eh.

18. NVDR

NVDR New Member

i drive a clk 430 (208) and all i can say is go for it. you will be impressed from the power delivery to the comfort level. It's a sporty car that looks masculine compared to the newer clk's.