mental toughness

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by C4, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

for those in F&N that play team sports - how do you stay motivated and keep yourself from being beaten before the game begins in a form slump?

last season I was 2nd highest point scorer in the league, our team went down 2 games to 1 i nthe finals series to take runners up, and this season we are 1-1-6

i have been completely off my game, and i find myself getting more and more frustrated which just keeps making things worse. I'm the captain of the team and i just get so frustrated that i cant lead by example this season

help me overcome this hurdle :hs:

2. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

strongmindedness? :dunno:

Find a song that motivates you and play it beforehand.

3. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

Just give it your all. Leave it all out on the field. Whenever your legs or arms might be dying, kick it in, don't stop, just keep going... The more it burns, the more you become determined. Pretty corny but I say "No pain" a lot of times and it helps me to lift and run more.

4. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Don't be a pussy.

That's about all I can tell you that doesn't sound like cliche movie bullshit.

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I need that just to stay in the game of working out and practicing muay thai...

All I really do for motivation is go on F&N and all the people talking about working out makes me think of the great feeling i get after a nice hard workout.

As for muay thai... I watch a lot of kung fu (not the same thing, but fighting nonetheless) flicks and MT fights... that always makes me want to kick ass.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

The best way to lead in hockey is by example. Show your teamates you'll do anything to win.

7. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

if you are serious enough about your hockey, see a sports psych and sort things out.

8. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

my brother is an elite level coach who has researched a lot into sports psych and the benefits for his athletes, but its a shame that whenever i ask him about things he just gives me a *shrug* and a 1 line answer..

doesnt care enough to approach it the same as one of his own clients :mad:

9. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

mental toughness isn't really something that you can learn, IMO. If you can't use failure as a motivating factor, then what else is going to motivate you? Failure is the worst possible out come - nothing ever got me fired up to work harder then failing.

10. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Yeah and the thing about team sports is that if a few people have a bad attitude they can drag everyone down.

Eventually you'll reach a point where you decide you're not going to take it anymore and shit will hit the fan.

11. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

family only goes so far, the dollar will probably go further in this case.

12. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Honestly, if you don't have the motivation right now, for the sake of your teammates maybe you should step down. Not everyone is a good leader, its nothing to be ashamed of, but there are lots of great hockey players who failed as captains.

13. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

Before every game/practice, huddle up and go... QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DUCKSSSSSSSS

That always gets me hyped up.

14. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

this is what the problem is - i am constantly disappointed with their lack of committment to training etc, and even though i try to motivate them, they are always such lazy shits for the most part :o

If i could just 'step down' i would, but its not a league that demands a captaincy role, as much as i just want to be able to have fun playing the game again,instead of always feeling like we should have done better.

im trying to give it everything _i_ have, but in a team sport, thats not enough eh

thanks for the suggestions folks..team training is tonight i will see who shows up to work

15. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

^ yo man

I'm in a comp. volleyball team and kinda act like the captain in that I set up drills, run practices, etc.

Like you, I'm hardcore at trying to better my game. The motivation I have to keep working out and diet is that it will make me a better player.

We went 18-2 this league only to lose in the first round to a .500 team. Pathetic, and it came down because of lack of focus from a couple of players (players that never show up for practice, don't take warmups seriously, etc). Very frustrating.

Needless to say, even though they are friends, I removed them from my team and surrounded myself with players that are on the same page as me.

16. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

with only 3000 hockey players in the entire country (of all ages and sexes), unfortunately we do not have the luxury of cutting players... if we did, our team would be top notch

just a sidenote - last night training was cancelled due to the fact that only a handful of people said they could make it :hs:

17. grampositivecocci

maybe you should take the opposite approach?

have some fun, fuck around, generally relax?

18. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

I want to do this, but at the same time, the league is 'supposed' to be a farm league for the national level (AIHL), so people want everyone to do it in a professional manner to raise the level across the league..

only a handful of the older players like myself seem to be able to understand WHY and try to do it..

My teams manager is one of the league managers also so he'd be pretty disappointed if i just said fuck it, and started goofing around ..

but yeah, i think you are right - i just need to relax and remember why i play in the first place..

19. grampositivecocci

why not have a bbq at training, a few beers afterwards... Try and get everyones morale up.

20. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

If I were you I would ask them why they're signing up to play if they're just dicking around. Why would they fuck over their teammates by not being committed? If there are any sort of coaches then get their (the uncommitted ones) ice time reduced.

Thats just me though.

21. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

i agree with you, if it were up to me id cut them, and send them back to senior c non contact :mamoru:

22. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I would seriously ask them. It drives me nuts having guys like that on the team. Theres always a few of them though...

23. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

what do you say to the guys who are obviously not good enough to keep up, yet still turn up to training and at least give it a try, even though they dont get it :hs:

24. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I would say those are the toughest to deal with because its not really lack of effort they suck. I think with people like that you gotta be positive with them, but make it cognizant that they're expected to work harder in terms of training and everything because they're not as skilled. Thats not insulting either, if you look at less skilled guys in the NHL they tend to be in better shape and harder working because they know they cant do it on talent alone. You should tell them how they can best contribute to the team ie simplifying their game, working hard, etc.

25. 1.8t

1.8t Member

I think part of what makes a professional athlete a professional athlete is the ability to deal with slumps and to over come them. You can't play at the top of your game forever...nor can you play consistently great every game, every season, etc. I could never be a professional athlete b/c I could never handle a bad game. I could never understand why I couldn't perform great every game. I would say things like "I did it last time, nothing has changed since then, why can't I play that well this time" and it would just make it worse. Its a rollercoaster ride, keep giving it your all and practicing your butt off and things will eventually turn around. Resilience is the key. Take the bad games, bad seasons, etc. and just put them behind you. Its old news, if you keep thinking about them, it will affect your play in its current state. Let it go and think of every new game as your breakout performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.