GUN Mental health record submissions for gun checks on the rise

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Slick26, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/29/gun.checks/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN)
    -- States appear to be taking more action to keep guns out of the hands of people with mental health problems in the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings, new figures show.
    [​IMG]Mental health problems would prohibit potential buyers from purchasing a gun.

[​IMG]

Submissions of mentally ill patients' records to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System for gun buyers have more than doubled since the massacre in April, the Justice Department announced Thursday.
    Currently, states are not required to send reports of mental health problems, which would prohibit buyers from purchasing a gun.
    But after the shootings -- when a student with a history of mental health problems killed 32 people before taking his own life -- the number of submissions to the database grew from 174,863 during the first half of the year to 393,957 from July to November.
    The number of states submitting the information also grew, from 23 before the Virginia Tech tragedy to 32 after it.
    The majority of the new records came from California authorities, who submitted more than 200,000 entries, the Justice Department said. Ohio boosted the amount of entries from three in March of this year to 7,845 in November.
    "Instant background checks are essential to keeping guns out of the wrong hands, while still protecting the privacy of our citizens," Attorney General Michael Mukasey said to the National Association of Attorneys General.
    Don't Miss
    "But as we learned in the tragedy at Virginia Tech, the checks must be accurate and complete to be effective."
    Virginia Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho was judged a danger to himself and ordered to get outpatient mental health treatment in 2005, but there was no indication he followed up.
    Virginia did not report his name to the FBI system because he hadn't been committed to a mental health facility.
    Cho bought one of the guns he used in the massacre online from an out-of-state dealer, picking it up from a Blacksburg, Virginia, pawn shop after background checks were complete. He bought his other pistol from a Roanoke gun dealer a month before the shooting.
    Officials say making sure information -- such as mental health records -- that would keep a person from buying a gun is available at a national level ensures that the individual doesn't go across state lines to try to make a purchase.
    Background checks, however, aren't necessary for firearms purchases made at gun shows or from a private seller, which, according to estimates, account for about half of the guns sold in the United States each year.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  2. Slick26

Discuss.

3. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Just another "good idea" that will eventually be abused by the goverment to limit ownership imho.

4. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

+1

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

very true. Pretty soon they'll raid a guys house because he went to a counseling session. :hsugh:

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thank god I'm now 5% less likely to be attacked by a crazy person that I'm forced to be helpless against.

7. Slick26

I think this is a good AND a bad idea.

Its a good idea, because I think everyone agrees, libtard anti-gunners and gun responsible gun owners alike, that people with mental illness should be nowhere NEAR a gun.

Its a bad idea on several different levels. First thing is, what defines a mental illness that disqualifies a person from be responsible around guns? The second thing is, it opens a door for the government to pressure doctors, and for doctors already with an anti-gun agenda, to label people with "mental illnesses" that are otherwise fine, just because they don't want them to have guns. The third thing, which just ties in with number two, it opens the door for the government to abuse it just to take guns away from people.

Pretty soon all the gun owners in America are "sick"... WEIRD.

8. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I think its a bad idea. I had alot of problems because of my parents divorce when I was 16. Talked about suicide and got sent to a state mental hospital.I d hate for that shit to be used against me now that im 27 and completly ok with everything.

9. Resin

Resin OT Supporter

good thing i got mine before they found out im crazy!!!

10. more off

more off Moderator

:rofl:

11. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Eventualy it'll just become "why would you want something designed to kill people?" and bam you're crazy.

12. Slick26

This is already starting to happen... just not getting "diagnosed" yet.

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

this came up on OT like 6 months ago. we were trying to put together a list of pro-gun doctors to go to :cool:

i know my dentist is pro-gun.

14. Slick26

I rememberz that. It was in the news again, so I figured I'd stir the pot again. :coolugh:

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:mad: i hate that fucking shit. like guns are ONLY used for killing people and things like recreation shooting, hunting, and competition shooting dont exist :rolleyes:

OMG OMGOMG if they're so fucking scary and dangerous why is it an Olympic sport? :jerkit:

i laugh at england who can never hold the Olympics again. sorry, chaps :rofl:

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:mamoru: