Memory Upgrade

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Oct 17, 2005.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I'm planning on purchasing this computer...
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1576696&Tab=0&NoMapp=0
    its an eMachines T6212

But, in all of the reviews, it says u need to replace the memory in pairs. Here it waht someone said in a review (u can see other reviews on the page..)
    MAKE SURE you fill BOTH slots with matching pairs ie. 256 DDR - 256 DDR in slot 1 and 2 : 512 DDR - 512 DDR in slot 3 and 4.

So, i wanted to put in another 512, to make 1 gig of RAM. Does that mean that i need to put in 2 256 MB sticks? Could i buy 2 seperate (but the same) 512MB sticks, to make it 1.5 Gigs of RAM?
    this was the ram i was going to get...
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=586829&sku=ULT30215
    i wanted to get 2 sticks.

Please post soon, as i am planning on placing my order sometime tonight.

2. tony

tony Guest

Sounds like it is dual-channel. You'll need to buy two addidtional sticks of RAM. Buying two 512m or two 256m would be fine, they just need to be the same size. Also, they do not need to match the size of the sticks you currently have installed.

3. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

thanks. U know how some come in pairs (2x512), and u buy them together? Do i need to do that, or can i just buy 2 sperate 512 sticks?

4. tony

tony Guest

Its best to buy them as a pair, you'll be guranteed that they're matched. If they have different timings, your machine could become unstable. If you were to buy two of the same kind, then there is a very slim chance you'll have any problems, but I'd say its not worth the risk.

5. Yoshiemaster

Yoshiemaster New Member

512mb ram for 20 dollars at tigerdirect..... good deal, i bought 2 of those yesterday.

6. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

yeah, but the offer expires today, and i wont be able to get it in time.

7. Yoshiemaster

Yoshiemaster New Member

that deal is pretty rare. last time tiger direct had 512mb ram for 20 dollars was in may.

8. Yoshiemaster

Yoshiemaster New Member

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think dual-channel DDR is a motherboard function, not a memory function. I built a DC-DDR computer using normal DDR and it works great, the memory just has to be installed in pairs. Check your motherboard and see if it uses mrmory in pairs before you spend money on RAM you don't need.