Memory Dump Errors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by egotrip, Sep 22, 2004.

1. egotrip

egotrip Submit

OK, here's the story. Buddy of mine received a laptop from his work, used previously by someone else there. HP Pavillion ze1230 (i think), 1.3ghz, 486mb ram, WinXP Home....decent I guess.

Anyway, it was getting Physical Memory Dump errors and Fatal System errors. So I formatted and installed WinXP.........long story short, it runs fine as long as it's running, but if you power it off and let it sit for a while, then turn it on, the memory errors start coming up and it will take 5 or 6 reboots to get into Windows.

I've formatted/reinstalled about 5 times, ONLY installing WinXP Pro, nothing else and it still gets the errors. I've replaced the hard drive and memory in it, STILL gets the errors.

What's next? Any time I've run into Physical memory dump errors it's usually been either the hard drive or, less commonly, the memory.

Got any ideas? Would it be cheape to buy a new CPU or send it in to HP (not under warranty) to get fixed?

TIA

2. mace

mace i don't read

swap the ram for some good ram and see what happens

3. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

486mb of RAM? What combination is that? A RAM swap is probably the cheapest hardware replacement, so go for that, as mace suggested.

4. egotrip

egotrip Submit

dont' know, the bios shows 512 of ram, windows shows 486 or 496, can't remember. But I did some BIOS updates and I think that fixed the problem. He's got the laptop now and it's been working fine.