SRS Member going through an existential crises (anonymous post)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by FuzzyBunny, Feb 9, 2010.

1. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny I Doubt It

I feel like I've gone crazy. I've fallen into some sort of depression. I wish I could turn to religion, it would give me so much comfort.

To know that life is just a tiny speck in the midst of infinity gives me so much despair. It makes these small years and day-to-day actions seem so meaningless and hopeless, to have it wiped away.

The thought of being dead and not being able to feel or think hurts me so deeply. I want life.

Maybe this is all some cruel biological joke. My ego wanting to save itself. I wish I could be ignorant of the whole damn truth.

How can one cope.

2. 2397

2397 OT Supporter

I know how you feel and I wish I could tell you how to cope with the idea of death and uncertainty in general.

That said, I think it might be beneficial to ask yourself why it’s so important that you leave a legacy. The idea that your life will be ‘wiped away’ renders it meaningless to whom? Yes, the universe is indifferent and yes you are but a speck in it, but that doesn’t make your experience any less real. Life matters to you and that’s why you’re afraid to lose it (afraid of death) I assume. For me, coming to grips with these issues has meant challenging myself to live a life that is meaningful to me (subjective), following my passions and standing up for my values.

3. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Would it comfort you to note that myself, and everyone else I've talked to that's went through this, has come out of it simply by growing up and living? That acceptance comes with time?

You'll get a bunch of answers like, "Do you remember what it was like before you were born?" Were you scared then? Even though this is true it's not reassuring is it?

I suppose that more genuine human interaction would have helped me come to terms with all this sooner. It doesn't help that few people now have a true community and that our society, while giving us more chances than ever to keep in touch, is geared more towards isolationism than in the past. So that's my answer. Time and start making time to cultivate real relationships with those that mean something to you.

For a few years me and two close friends started getting together once a week to hang out, eat a big meal, have some drinks, play music, whatever (No TV and no outside distractions like going to the bar). We hung out other days but this was a planned thing. Pretty soon we brought 4 more into the fold and the 8 of us would make Sunday night a huge deal. It was honestly the best part of my week and it was the closest thing I felt to that elation you got when your extended family came together at Christmas (Eve) and you were a kid. Before you started hating some of your relatives and developing your own hangups. The meaning to my life was my relation to other people. Not things or a job. Now that we've moved to other cities I miss it terribly.

So push for that. Genuine human interaction is about the best thing you can do for yourself in terms of mental health IMO.

4. 2397

2397 OT Supporter

Also, if you’re into existentialism, there are so many great reads (literature and philosophical texts) that manage to be some sort of uplifting while addressing these ideas…

Have you read Milan Kundera’s The Unbearable Lightness of Being?

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Perhaps you should take a clue from dogs. Dogs are 100% in the moment. They don't focus on things of the past and/or future. All they care about is this instant.

In AA we have a saying, you've got one foot in tomorrow and one foot in yesterday and you're pissing on today.

Why focus on the meaning of life? Why does it have to have any meaning at all? It could very well all turn out to be meaningless and insignificant. What if our real goal is just to learn to let go and have fun? Hmmm....if that's the point of life, it sure makes all this worrying crap seem pointless doesn't it?

Just some food for thought.

6. Maximillion

Maximillion New Member

I like Coottie's approach...

Try to reframe your thinking and realize that the fact that life is ultimately pointless and meaningless can be strangely comforting. You set your own purpose and goals in life and your actions are all that matters. And whatever happens you can be sure that life will go on :dunno: