meh... lol, another question... your SO inherits money... Can you use it?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by multiplexor, Feb 29, 2008.

1. multiplexor

multiplexor Intellectual

We'll say you grandmother died and left your 200k.... this is not my situation, but it was the topic of conversation at one point.

you both work and make money... however, your SO now has 200k extra money...

Do you feel that that money is yours and your so's... or do you feel it's all your so's money?

I personally feel that if my so inherited (for example) 200k... that that would be my SO's money to do with as they please. Ideally investing it properly and buying a couple things for themselves. However I wouldn't feel like they owe me anything as I should still be independent enough to work, etc...

Just curious what you guys think...

my gf believes (and i'm expecting tons of feedback... hahahah) that if she inherited 200k that i would have a right to use some of that money if i wanted to... however i've told her repeatedly that I wouldn't because it would be her's. She could choose to give me some, but it's not mandatory...

2. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

The simple answer is that:

A woman will feel entitled to YOUR inheritance whereas a man will not feel entitled to hers.

I know, I know, I'm not talking about Vag women here. I'm talking about women in the real world.

3. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

GOD NO

and this TC already has a leech for a girlfriend. i really hope you are not blowing an inheritence on this woman.... you do realize how ashamed the deceased would be to see you do that right?

4. multiplexor

multiplexor Intellectual

hehehe naw.... she was talking about this and i was like... well if you inherited the money for your grandmother, i wouldn't want any of it because it's yours... regardless of the amount... sure, i figure you'll take me out to eat more often... but i wouldn't expect any of it....

Whereas she says she'd give me some amount if she did inherit money...

This came up because her grandmother has a condo in las vegas that's going to be sold next year for a million and she said she'd give my gf some money from it...

5. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Given your situation, she OWES you some of it. lol

Quit being a pussy.

6. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Right now we completely share 100% of our income, but I wouldn't be surprised if some deep-seated trust issues she has would cause her to get weird over that sum of money. :hs:

Do I feel entitled to it? No, not really. I know I put 100% of my pay and any other income I have into that shared checking account, and I would view an unwillingness on her part to contribute funds to that be incredibly selfish, but that's on the grounds of desiring equal contribution, not unlimited access to her money.

7. demosnat

demosnat New Member

I truly believe its best to keep your finances separate unless you are married.

8. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. Once we clear our debts, we're going to go to separate checking accts with a single shared one for shared expenses. I know some very happy married couples that do this.

I don't want control of her money, and I would like to have control of mine.

9. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

I think you should keep them separate even AFTER you are married.

But that's just me.

10. BornToFly

BornToFly New Member

It is the inheritors money. They can do what they want with it, including giving it to someone else, but the other person shouldn't be expecting it.

11. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

I like this idea. That or just having separate accounts and contributing equally to shared expenses.

That way there can be no arguments over spending OUR money on useless stuff".

12. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Thats actually how my parents did it. :cool:
    How does the shared one work? Do you both put a certain amount in every month and thats used for groceries and bills? Why bother with that third account, can't you just get half of what you spend from the other person? IE " i paid the 100 electric bill and bought 200 bucks in food for the house you owe me 150"

13. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Unless you are married it should be their money.

If that shit happened to you....your girlfriend better fucking pay up and get you out of all the debt she's caused you. You'd better fucking demand the money if that was her in the "hypothetical" situation.

14. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Why would they be etitled to it if they were married?

15. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

death of spouse?

16. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

My point was, that inheritances are something per individual and no one should feel any entitlement to a spouse's or SO's inheritance.

Unless, I guess, in your case where you suggest that they die and leave it to their spouse.

17. Aronomy

Aronomy Get your COME ON!

If you're married, yes, both parties should use it, on something smart like paying off the house or something.

18. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

OP could always get married, have the girl put him in her will, then she mysteriously dies...he gets the money and pays off his debts, and the world has one less immature money grubbing girl.

For the record, I'M JOKING.

19. Yuppy

yea... i dont believe her.

20. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

:rofl:

Is it weird that I am looking for this exact situation? I wanna find a 60+ year old woman with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel who has a big inheritance. Maybe a farm. I always wanted to farm.

21. Yuppy

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2...do-if-my-girlfriend-isnt-serious-about-money/

Tore from a favorite blog of mine.... there are more comments, i just posted the first several or so

22. Yuppy

lol thats not 'smart'

its smarter to take that money and invest it, make more money off the growth than you pay in interest. continue to pay the mortgage for tax reasons while paying 6-7% and making 8-12% or more!

another reason the man needs to control finances! lulz

23. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

If you pay off all your debts, then you have your income available to you to invest.

Investing without having to pay any interest > Investing and paying interest at the same time

24. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

The bf and I talked about doing a system similar to this when we "combine our finances" (thats his guy-speak for "when we get married" :mamoru:). We're going to have 3 accounts as well: One for "our" money, which will be most of our income and used for shared things such as mortgage, bills, food, etc. Our 2 separate ones will get something like 15% of our individual pay checks. Its kinda like giving yourself an allowance. Anything thats not "shared" (like if I wanted to go buy myself a new pair of 100$ shoes, or he wanted a new gun) would come out of our separate accounts. That way, if you want something big that doesnt benefit both, you can 'save up for it'.

25. Aronomy

Aronomy Get your COME ON!

lulz. Read more about investing.