Meguiar's overspray clay

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Ridley, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Ridley

Ridley New Member

How effective is this at removing overspray? My parents had the rear quarter panel of their vehicle hit and repaired about 6 months ago and I noticed there was some clear overspray along the bumper. Will this stuff remove the overspray or is that area pretty much a lost cause? I can't believe the shop left it like that. It feels like sandpaper... :ugh:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Meguiars has their white consumer clay, blue professional mild clay and red professional aggressive clay. One of them should work. I'd start with the blue.

3. Ridley

Ridley New Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm a bit skeptical it is going to get it all off, but the bumper looks like garbage up close. Is there any danger in using the aggressive clay? Will it strip clearcoat and paint that I don't necessarily want removed for example? :noes:

4. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

wet sand with 1500 and compound then polish. problem solved. if you cant do that then stay away from the car.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

WTF are you talking about? Overspray clay is specifically designed to remove overspray without resorting to wetsanding and buffing. Why go with the most aggressive approach first?

In any event, the idiots at the body shop shouldn't have gotten overspray on the car in the first place. Only complete morons would let a car leave their bodyshop with overspray anywhere on the car.

6. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

[​IMG]

Meguiar's has reformulated their clay - the one in this jar is the old version and has been replaced by their blue "mild" clay. It's called "Professional Detailing Clay" now, not "Body Shop Professional Overspray Clay". They both have the same part number, but the reformulated blue clay is much better. I found that the white "Overspray Clay" broke up very easily.

As for any danger with the "agressive" clay, the Meguiar's representative I spoke with warned that their red clay might cause some marring/scratching and that I might need to follow up with a polish. I haven't had a chance to try their red clay yet, though.

7. Ridley

Ridley New Member

Thanks, that was very helpful. :bigthumb: