Meguiars Cutting Pads...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by CBlakeNS, Mar 8, 2006.

1. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

I just ordered some meguiars cutting pads, well actually my local autopart store did.

How do they compare in general to light cutting pads?

The cars im doing have a pretty good amount of swirl marks but considering im kind of new to this I dont want to mess anything up....

Do I need to worry about the cutting pads doing any damage or are they just like light cutting pads since ive already used those.

Thanks,
    Blake

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The burgandy Meguiars cutting pads are pretty stiff and aggressive, although once you break them in, they are a bit softer. If you have soft paint, you may get some light marring or hazing that will require stepping down to a polishing pad and a milder polish to remove. If you have harder paint, you might get some light hazing, on others I don't get any. They do a good job removing swirls when combined with a product like DACP or Optimum's Hyper Compound.

3. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

I was planning on using the mothers power polish 2 step process with the polish on the cutting pad, and then using the power wax on the polish pad and maybe applying some wax by hand or something?

What do you think?

4. Scottwax

:dunno: I haven't seen your car in person, I don't know what it needs exactly. Start with a polishing pad first and step up to the cutting pad if you need to.

5. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

Aight its a buddies truck...

Thanks for your help man its appreciated!!

6. DaneMan

DaneMan Active Member

Scott, I think you gave me an answer before on this, but what speed should I start out with on my PC with a cutting pad and DACP? What speed should I work up to?

7. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

This is what I've dont exactly!

I started out with Meguiars yellow polishing pad and it just wasn't doing the trick. Slapped on the the red cutting pad and wham! Surface scratches went away.

I'm finding out from Scott that EVERY situation and car are different. Just start with the least stressfull product first and then work toward the more aggressive.

Just my 2 pennies.

Justin

8. Scottwax

Use 4-5 to spread it around and kick it up to 6 and slow the PC movement down to about 1" per second with 50% overlapping passes to work DACP in. When it begins to clear out, stop polishing. You want to completely break down the abrasives but you don't want to dry buff either. Just a little tip-if DACP doesn't buff off pretty easily, you didn't work it long enough. Same holds true for most polishes.