Meguiars confusion...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Tex, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Hi all,

It's been a helluva long time since I've posted, but I ordered a PC and had it shipped to me here in Oz, and have only recently just got around to sorting out a transformer etc. so I can use the bloody thing here. My car is in DIRE need of attention, sitting outside all the time isn't really nice on the paint. :(

Anyway, I had in mind the DACP-> Swirl Remover 2.0-> Swirl-Free polish-> S26 (or whetever the stuff from Harley dealers is called) sequence in mind (going from memory here so I might have fucked that up), maybe skipping the DACP if the Swirl Remover removes the scratches in the paint. But it seems Meguiars have changed the name of the DACP and SFP or replaced them with other products now? Their website doesn't show them and everywhere I've spoken to here reckons they have changed the names of their products and now the two applicable. They tell me I want Fine Cut Cleaner in lieu of DACP, and something else which I can't remember now.

So is this correct? If not, what do I use instead?

Also, what's the deal with NXT these days - are you guys still fond of it, and if so, where would I use it in my chain, before or after the S26?

EDIT: Comparing the US Meguiars site to the Aussie one, it appears maybe they just don't bring all of the product range in to Australia for some reason. :mad: In lieu of Meguiars products (except for the Swirl Rem 2.0 which I already have), what can you guys recommend? A mate referred me to a site today who have some Poorboys and Pinnacle products. :dunno:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

First off, NO, Meguiar's hasn't changed any product names or numbers. And the person you talked to who said to use Fine Cut Cleaner (#3 I believe) was smoking some damn fine crack, because IMO it won't do nearly as good of a job as DACP.

Go to a distributor of Meg's pro-line products and ask for them by number. DACP is #83 (32 oz. is M-8332), Swirl-Free Polish is #82 (M-8332 for 32 oz.). If I might suggest it, though, I would skip using the #9 (Swirl Remover) and #82, and do this:

DACP (#83) => Speed Glaze (#80) => S100

The Speed Glaze I find usually gives a good finish that will probably look equivalent to what you'd get using #9 and #82. Now, you can of course use NXT to add more protection under the S100, but that's totally your call. Definitely use S100 as the very last product you apply though.

Oh, and to order Meguiar's products, check out http://www.sparkleauto.com/ or http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/ -- both are great to deal with.

3. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Thanks for your reply man, I might call Megs in Australia and see if they just don't have all of the products listed for some reason. I'll see if I can get #80 here as well.

I understand DACP is probably a bit harsh and not necessary to use unless you've got some decent marring to remove, so for maintenance polishes would you just use #80 and then whatever waxes are preferred?

EDIT: I just called Megs here, and they don't bring in the whole range as for some reason they reckon there's no point to it - the guy there told me that I should try the Medium Cut Cleaner (#7), which as far as he knew was one step below DACP in terms of cut rating, and then Swirl Remover after that, then on to wax. In your opinions will these steps be any good?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Medium Cut is #1, Show Car Glaze is #7.

#1 is at least as aggressive as DACP and I believe it is a rotary only polish since the abrasives need heat to fully break down.

Why don't you register at http://autopia.org and check out the regional forum "Pacific Rim" here:

http://autopia.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=117

I am sure you can find someone who can tell you how to get DACP and #80.

And yes, #80 is a great maintenance polish.

5. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Thanks Scott, I'm an Autopia member already, so will check it out - didn't realise they had a regional forum. :)

6. Tomee

Tomee Heel and Toe OT Supporter

cant beleive you got a PC here Tex, all the trouble of getting a transformer for it etc.

there are similar alternatives here in Aus you know....

7. Clement

Clement New Member

hey i was just wondering what carnuba wax you would suggest to top all this off. im about to embark on the same adventure