A&P Mega Pixel Question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by daneford, Jan 26, 2004.

1. daneford

daneford New Member

is the quality of a 1.2 or 3.2 MP pic worse than a 5MP?
    I know that a 5MP pic is alot bigger size than 3.2 or 1.2, but is the quality better?

thx

2. aloe

aloe OT Supporter

3. daneford

daneford New Member

ok, i couldnt find the answer to my question there tho, all i need is a simple yes or no

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Theres a hell of a difference between a 1.2 and 3.2 mp camera. There are 3.2mp cameras that I believe beat or equal 5mp cameras in image quality (depending on what you are looking at in the image)... However a 1.2mp camera is likely to be so ancient or so cheap that the image quality is terrible. So if I had to say "yes" or "no" to your question, I'd say "neither" because it all depends on what cameras you're comparing.

5. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

really the megapizel count has nothing to do with quality of the image

6. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

If you're doing prints, and want decent quality at bigger print sizes, you'll want a camera with a higher megapixel count. If they're just for web use and mainly to send and share to friends via email or a website, a 1.2 MP camera will be sufficient for your needs. Image quality is going to vary from camera to camera, but 1.2 MP v. 5 MP with both pictures shrunken down to a size of 640 x 480, you won't be able to tell the difference between the two, if the 1.2 MP camera has a good quality sensor and lens.

7. daneford

daneford New Member

well, I already have a camera (Sony DSC-P92) but I only have a 16mb card at the moment, and it has the option to resise from 5Mp to 3.2MP or 1.2MP. I usually resise to 1.2Mp to have more space but for pics that I want to be the best quality, should I keep it at 5MP, or will resising to 1.2MP be the exact same quality?

8. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

You should keep it 5mp and resize in photoshop IMHO

9. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Keep it at 5MP. Once you transfer it to your computer, then resize the image down.

10. barto

barto you and your...third dimension

i believe that if you take a picture with a lower resolution setting then you try to make it bigger you will loose quality

11. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

Yeah, take it at full res and use a program to resize it, you can get the best quality and crops this way. And buy more mem :o

...a 3MP beign equal or greater than 5mp.. umm no. Not unless the 5MP is really 3MP interpolated. I fucking hate interpolation, those modes should be removed and never used for camera resolution specs.